1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluker's Hyrgromometer/Thermometer

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by GooseGal, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GooseGal

GooseGal Hi, I'm New Here!

Has anybody had an issue with the Fluker's Hyrgromometer and Thermometer pack? The one I'm talking about includes two separate units with gold rims. The hygromometer has a frog on it and the thermometer has a sun design. I recently bought the two-pack for my new crabitat. Previously I was using the ZooMed combo made specifically for hermie crabs (As long as both were in the yellow the temp/humidity were at ok levels...) which to me seemed like just another cheap hermie gimmick so I bought a new Flukers version... The Flukers version seemed much better to me, however now I'm doubting myself. The needle on the Flukers hygromometer seems to stick sometimes, when I tap it it will move (I now tap it quite often)... and I don't know if it's reading right at all. At first I thought maybe it needed to be calibrated, but now I have both the ZooMed and the Flukers in my new crabitat, and although the ZooMed changes upon leaving the lid open etc... the Flukers does not, and the needle isn't stuck now. The ZooMed hyrgromometer was at 90 when I put it in, so I left the lid open for a while and now it's at 80. However the Flukers has been at 80 all along (tapping it hasn't even made the needle move).... Sorry this was so long, basically just wondering if anybody else has had a problem with this Flukers product? :confused:

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sounds like you got a defective product. I would take it back to the store and let them know it stopped working and that you want your money back. Maybe stick with the ones you have, or maybe even hit up Walmart or Lowes and get one of those combo indoor/outdoor thermometer with hydrometer on it. I got one for $13, it works great, and it's digital (So I couldn't change the hydrometer reading when I calibrated it, but it's not hard to just do the mental math when I look at it - btw it was 13% off when I bought it, now it reads accurately, a good point for calibrating monthly).
    I've found that even the cheap stuff works pretty well, as long as you calibrate the hydrometer.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I have the same digital thermometer/ hygrometer from Walmart. It's really cool because it shows the moon phases and it has a light. Did yours 13% too high or too low? Mine says ninety-something so I'm pretty sure the real humidity is lower. I didn't calibrate mine yet.

4. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I put a sticky on my tank reminding me of the adjustment of my digital hygrometer. After a while, you just remember automatically.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Mine read 13% too low, but now it reads accurately. Laughs O Lot, that hydrometer isn't doing you any good not calibrated. Please do so, you may be very surprised at the result. You can't really guess on humidity, and your crabs will thank you for it :)

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Mine is just 5% off. I just make sure that it is within 5% of the normal and do the math stuff in my head.

7. Laughs O Lot

is the temperature ever off?

8. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I've wondered that myself. Is there a way to calibrate the temperature?

9. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

no i dont think it is off cause when i tested in my house it was 68 in my house and that is what the temp said

10. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

11. clover

no i use a lamp on my tank to keep it warm it is not always that cooled. i meant in my house not in my tank

12. Laughs O Lot

Thanks, crabbyjo! I was looking for a good heating lamp. This can be turned off, right?

13. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

The link I gave is just for bulbs, you can purchase any kind of lamp to hold it, such as a clamp lamp or a lighting hood for your tank. :)

and Clover, do keep in mind that your hermies need a day/night cycle, and a regular light bulb will interfere with that, that is why I suggested moon glo bulbs. They don't give off rays that will disturb the natural cycle.

14. clover

oh crabbyjo i know! i just dont have the money now i am saving and i should have it all right by the begginging of august

15. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I know Clover, it ends up costing us so much for these silly little crabs, but we do it because we love them so much don't we lol.

16. clover

i know if i didnt give a poop about how small thier tank is or how warm they are or how well they can breathe orr how yummy thier food is and how much they want to climb (the list goes on) i wouldnt spend all this money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.