1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluker's green moss

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by Yadokari, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

It looks unnaturally green. Does anyone else use this? I did a search on it and I found a post saying that it gave their hermit crabs "green poop" when eaten. Didn't say any negative side effects though. I'm curious to whether my assumptions of this product being dyed is true or not. Any info?

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I wondered the same thing myself but always forget to ask on here.
    I've been using it for a while and my little guys seem fine, but the question is still there.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

If it looks dyed, don't use it. Better to be safe then sorry. Moss is green and there's different kinds of green but you should be able to tell if it's dyed.

Check for places that sell reptiles and frogs, they will usually have a safe moss there.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I bought mine at Petsmart, and it's the only moss I've seen around where I live, AND they just apparently got it here.
    The package does say 100% natural.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

When I looked at the packages online, they are pretty bright, but I don't think they look dyed. I have seen mosses in nature that have that bright green color. If it has dye in it, they would be required to disclose that on the packaging. Put some in a cup of water and see if any soaks off.....
    Here's a quote I took from an online ad for the green moss:
    "Green Moss Bedding by Fluker's: All-natural, safe substrate for reptiles and terrestrial amphibians, including frogs, salamanders and green snakes."
    I'd like to go to Petsmart and examine the package closer before I say for sure that it is not dyed, but I do think it wold be fairly obvious.

6. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

....some color did come off in the water dish (a "glob" fell in from the basket above). Does that mean it's dyed??? It wasn't much color at all, but there was a green tinge for sure.

7. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I second what DaisyCrab said about seeing it at petsmart. That's where I got it. I haven't opened it yet, didn't want to open it because I bought the large bag. Waste of money if I open it, only to find out I can't use it. >_< I heard there were "natural dyes". I'm still iffy about this. How are your crabs doing Daisy? I've seen some crabbers recommend fluker's moss. I'm just not sure if it's very reliable. Seeing as how there are some crabbers out there who also recommend using painted shells for a "nicer and more attractive" crab.

8. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Well they seem to like it. From what I can see everyone is doing fine. Brat & Jay-Jay nap in it at least once a day. I've only had it in there for about a week & a half but so far so good.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

10. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

When I was "googling" the moss, I viewed several pictures of it and it ranged in color from a vibrant green to light brown.....I would think if it was dyed that it would really turn the water green. I bet the crabs would be producing nuclear green waste too....kind of like kids do when they drink blue kool-aid or eat a ton of fruit loops (sorry). If it says natural dyes, then that usually indicated vegetable dye, not a chemical dye. Is there any number or address on the bag that you might contact to find out?

11. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Here it is:
    Green Moss Bedding

Where do you get your moss at Vicki? I've been to so MANY Petcos (probably 6 different ones!) and Petsmart, yet I can only find Beak Moss, which is apparently dangerous, and this Fluker's moss, could also be dangerous. I just want to set up that tank already.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've gotten it at East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley. You can order it online, depending on the size you want(i got the mini bale and it was $16-19)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.