1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time mommy

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by ma8201, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

Hello My name is Jennifer and I am a new crab mommy along with my two daughters, (they are 7 and 3)

I have been looking all over the internet for hermit crab information and care, I have found a few but this one l like because we can get answers to all of our questions.
    About our crabs.
    It was my 3 yr old who received the crabs for her birthday in September from my husbands aunt. We had no idea they were getting the crabs. I was so grossed out by them I would run when ever my husband opened their tank. My 3yr old was braver then I was. She is a big spongebob fan so all of our crabs are named after the characters and our crabitat is bikinibottom. Anyway, over the first couple of weeks they began to grow on me and I would watch them with her in her room. We had them in one of those small plastic containers with a half inch of sand and a small water bowl with a sponge, basicly not room to move. I started thinking I really need to learn what they need. I felt bad for them. Long story short, they are now in an old 72 gallon reptile tank (found it on ebay-great deal) with tons of rocks, hills ect.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

YUP that's how is starts for a lot of us- sounds like they have hermie heaven now. Glad to have you here :D

3. Lukems

Lukems "First Molt In Progress"

Haha, Glad To Have You On Board!
    :D

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Welcome!

A 72g tank for 4 crabs? Sounds like theTaj Mahal! Thank goodness my crabs can't read. I've got 11 in a 29l tank and they would give me a hard time about them just having a chintzy bungalow.

A little advice for your girls. When they start handling a crab, they shoud wear a thin sock on their hands. Since they're so young it would help the girls to learn how to hold them while they're still inexperienced.

5. crackity

crackity "Never Molted"

My own story is similar in that I wasn't really that interested at first, but then got attached to them very quickly.
    I thought I was bad when I rushed out and bought a 20 gallon tank! LOL!! You got me way beat with your 72 gallon monster. Now you need to go get some more playmates for your original 2. :D
    I would love to get a tank that big. I'm already out of room in my 20 gallon. :D
    I'm a newbie too, and so far I have rec'd. a very warm welcome and gotten plenty of helpful advice!
    Welcome aboard!

6. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I plan on getting a few more for my oldest daughter for christmas.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! I really hope you enjoy it here! I love those names! Lol. Your hermies must feel like they're in heaven with that huge cage! I'm trying to convince my mom to let me get a ten- gallon, but she thinks just because they seem healthy a tiny tank with like a half an inch of pebbles she shouldn't wast her money on a big cage, even though they hardly have any room to run around with the logs, sponges, and food dish. She says she'll get one once I catch up on my school- work, which I don't understand. It's for them, not me! I really hope I can get a bigger cage with more substrate soon.
    Honey's on my lap right now if you want to say hi!

8. crackity

crackity "Never Molted"

That makes me sad for your little crabbies. They're the ones being punished. Ever since I first read this thread, I've been scouring the ads on Craigslist.com to see if I can find my own 70+ gallon beauty. :D

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

It makes me really sad, too. I told her it was punishing them, not me, but she still wouldn't let me get a bigger cage. I think they're getting enough exercise, though, because I take them out and let them run around on the carpet as much as possible. I'm probably going to start baby- sitting soon so I can buy them a big cage with my own money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.