1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Molts and other related questions

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by deedeeiam, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I had two crabs molting, Slug and Lexi. While I was away on a work trip, Slug cam up - healthy and beautiful.

My question is concerning Lexi. I assumed she was down in the substrate deep, but it turns out she was just level with the dry sand. I accidently found her while I was smoothing out some sand and bumped her. I didn't un-earth her complete, but you can now make out the shape of her shell in the sand.

Firstly, why there? I have diggable sand, EE, and a moss pit. She picked the little bit of dry sand by the pebbles.

Should I put a bottle top over her or something? I'm worried about Bubba crawling over her or someone getting hungry for a late night snack...

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I think the harder question to answer is is Lexi done? and just down there just for the night?

As for protection, unless you have aggressive crabs, I wouldn't worry about it... just keep your tank in a nice dark place and leave it be

3. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

One of my crabs was under the water dish and I didn't even know until I picked it up one day and saw part of his shell. I just put a cocohut over him and kept an eye out for other crabs hanging around his area. Luckily for me he came up later that night. If you want to put a bottle over her you can, as long as she has access to food and water in her area just in case she decides to come up.

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Well, that makes me feel better. She's been there for 15 days. It was so much easier to be away and not have to *see* the fact I'm missing a crab. I need to go back on the road..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.