1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Molt.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Supercrab, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supercrab

Supercrab Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi,
    My daughter (age 4 at the time), was given a hermit crab last year and ofcourse, Supercrab is now mine. In our area, hermit crabs are a fad. Sold at kiosks in malls and the like, so I didn't have any decent information.(The other families in my area all had at least 2 crabs and Supercrab has outlived them all) I've become so obsessed (for lack of a better term) to ensure that I'm caring for my favorite pet properly that I've overwhelmed myself and need a bit of crabby advice.
    Anyhow,Supercrab just went through her first molt and is recovering as far as I can tell. I haven't touched her, and the conditions seem to be good...but the more I read about what she needs, the more conflicting information I seem to get. I just read that I should have CHLORINATED (!?!?) water as well as fresh available to her after a molt? That would kill her, wouldn't it? And I am going to get another crab for our crabitat, how long should I wait to do so? Is there a way to introduce them?

Thank you in advance,
    Supercrab

2. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

Definitely do not use chlorinated water under any circumstances. You should have dechlorinated salt water (made with MARINE salt like Instant Ocean or Oceanic) and dechlorinated fresh water available. Calcium-rich foods are also important. I don't know about introducing a new crab, I haven't had to, but I know they should be in ISO for a week or two. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

:)

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Hermit crabs who are molting need more humidity than normal. . . Spray the area around the molting crab. . .

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

lovleylittlecrabs, said it, i wouldn't use chlorinated water!

As far as introducing a new crab, wait for the molted one to grow a new EXO and get his or her energy back, and get a crab close in size. Make sure plenty of (unpainted!) shells for both are available, so shell fights do not occur, and that there is protein (they love their meats!) periodically available, so they do not attack each other in a need for protein. But bringing in a new crab is superb, since thet are social and some can die from lonliness.

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Not exactly. I mean, think about it. There isn't a magical nature spray fairie who goes and sprays them with ocean water when they're in the wild :p . You do, however, need to be sure that the substrate around them is humid, and monitor the humidity gauge well.

Anyway,

Welcome to the site. I'd like to know a little more about your enclosure, like aquarium size, what the aquarium's made of(plastic, glass), what kind of water you offer, substrate kind and depth, and lastly if you hermit crab is molting on the surface or underground. Seems like a lot, I know, but it'll let me help you on if you need to change something.

Thanks,
    Oneonion

6. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

For a whole year I've been giving my crabs NON-declorinated water,
    this was before I realized how many awfull mistakes I was making.
    My friend told me that clorinated water scrapes their gills.
    I stopped giving them it and I thik Shelle is gonna live a lot longer than my other two crabs.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hello, and Welcome. :)
    Congrats on wanting to do right for your crabby. :)

If you click Forum and then click General Questions About Care, then click the sticky I just bought new crabs what do I do now? , you'll get some good info to get you started.
    Read through the info elsewhere on here too, it's a wealth of information that will boggle your mind. :D

We're here to help, so just give a shout out...

8. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

HI there! I'm new too. :D

I think my two are getting ready to molt. They've both been digging around a lot. I'm glad SuperCrab's molt went well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.