1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding hermies in GA?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by haunani, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haunani

haunani Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm down in Macon, GA (smack dab in the middle of the state) and was wondering if anyone knew of any good/decent places to get hermies. I have 3 PPs now, but would really like to add some Es to the family.

Locally, only Petsmart sells hermies and they only sell small/micro PPs.

2. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

I have seen lots of posts concerning mail order, but most folks don't seem to think it's good for the hermies. Plus since it's winter it's really not safe to ship the little guys... I have heard of a few...

Note: I am new and know very little about the subject...I am not giving a positive or negative review for any of these as I have never used them...

I think this site's store sold them for a while, but couldn't keep shipping them due to having a conscience...good guy!

liveaquaria.com seems to only have marine crabs.

hermitsdirect.com is no longer selling crabs

reptilecity seems to be all out of anything but PP's

saltwaterfish.com carries the marine ones

hermitcrabvendor.com looks like a wholesaler only

fmrpets.com is a wholesaler only...

hermitsupply.com...they actually want to you pick which painted shell you prefer?!?! PP's

anywho, hope it helps!

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I imagine your best bet will be a jaunt up to Atlanta. I believe Felicity, a member here, is from Atlanta, and may be able to give you some suggestions.

The chain pet stores don't seem to get Es -- only locally-owned pet stores do. You could try calling them and asking them whether they have hermit crabs, and if they do, whether their crabs have purple claws. If the answer is "no", there's a good chance they have Es. But it's unlikely they'll know the species.

Pineapplemama -- you left one off the list! Tina (happy_crabbies -- at least I THINK it was her) ordered crabs from US Shell, which is also a wholesaler. The minimum order is 25 crabs (PPs only) so that's what she got. She expected them to ask for a business license or something, but nope, 25 crabs were delivered to her door, no questions asked. [​IMG]

Tina -- how are those guys doing, anyhow?

4. pineapplemama

Yeesh...FMR at least requires a tax cert before they will sell. That's interesting. I assume they all made it safe and sound??

5. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Yep. As I recall they almost all buried after arrival, and many molted. But I think the survival rate was actually really good. I'm curious as to whether that remains the case.

6. pineapplemama

Lord if I ordered 25 at once I think my hubby might lock me away!! I hope they are all doing well...guess we'll see when she posts next time!

7. pineapplemama

Forgot to mention...I'm currently in the HelpChat of Ebay...I went to pet supplies and typed in "live"

There are hundreds of marine and land hermies, snails, even fish being sold LIVE...at least until they ship...on there...we'll see if I actually make any tiny bit of difference...wish me luck...I'll keep ya posted...so far the tech seems pretty miffed at these people too...so that's a good sign...I think?

8. pineapplemama

Well, my tech was cool, when she saw the blue lobster crayfish she said that her hubby had wanted to get one...but that she would never buy a live animal off ebay, she was mad that some of them were BRAGGING about the cheaper 2-3 day shipping! So maybe some of these morons will be taken off of there! Poor babies...

Hope I Helped...

9. pineapplemama

You know I think that i'm just in a...

..."be a pain in someone's butt" mood...

or perhaps I should lay off the caffine?

I just sent this...

eBay does not allow sales of live animals or pets on eBay. eBay allows sales of tropical fish and domestic (i.e. not exotic) aquatic snails, provided the seller has the proper Federal (APHIS PPQ) - see Form 526 info below) and/or State permit(s) that allows for movement across State lines (and/or for importation into the U. S.), and provided that the seller guarantees in the listing that the animals will be packaged safely, and shipped via next day delivery.

Are you obeying ebay's rules?

to the following sellers on ebay...these are the ones selling live hermies...land or marine, diff crabs, crayfish, koi, angelfish, snails, etc...

caribbeanfishandmore, greatgifeidea123, imageneation2, mikeswetpets, robertsoni, easy1956latty, jimmykt99, jimbo470, samiam_orami, jrrydz, reefdesigns, smtfh, coralsplus, coralfragger101, wmsfm, bluewatercorals, atlanticfishman

what can I say...at least I'm not taking it out on my hubby! Maybe they will at least review their practices to make sure they are working withing ebays rules?! Some of these guys have ebay stores...some are power sellers! Yeesh!

p.s. that ebay stuff was a direct quote from thier policy on Animals...I didn't make up that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.