1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

So I went to Wal*Mart today and purchased a shower caddy. :D I have it set up and now,I put some shells in there,only one hermie has checked it out though. Is there anything besides moss that you can use as substrate? I went to Petco today and they had to kinds of moss. Frog moss and another brand. I didn't buy either one because,I believe the Frog moss is bad for them. Is this true or was I just being over protected?
    I will try to post pics of my updated 'tat' soon! (Tommrow maybe?)

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

It's the beaked moss that can be bad for the crabs(stuff they put in it can be poisonous). Frog moss is the good stuff. So is hiawatha moss. Just dip it in de-chlor water to moisten. (Salt water will kill it).

Do you have vines or something stable for the crabs to climb up and down on?

Other substrates - play sand, coral sand, Ecco Earth or a coconut sheet. You don't want to make it too heavy though. The suction cups may not hold it then.

3. keris hermies

Ok,I didn't want to buy the 'bad' kind and end up hurting them. So Frog Moss is the better kind,well then next time I go I'll remeber to pick some up. Thanks Wiz. :)

I don't have vines but,I do have fake plants. (Pretty much the same thing)

The shower caddy I got has tiny slits in it so I dunno if I put any substrate in there.

4. WizKidsMom

My shower caddies have slits and holes in it as well. I use fabric window screen cut to size for the bottom. I cut the screen larger if there are holes on the side. It holds the substrate very well, yet lets the excess moisture drip out.

By vines I mean the reptile vines. I wrap the fake ivy vine around the length to make it more real looking.

5. keris hermies

Huh,that's a good idea.

I would get some vines but,they are pretty expensive here!!! Lol,just for a couple of them and it's like $20.00! Sorry if I sound like a cheap~skate but,I'm just a kid! (14) Well a teenager,I have to do chores for money and I guess I'm getting ripped off because,I don't get alot. Lol.

6. WizKidsMom

Actually, I commend you for working for your money. Ripped off - nope. You are learning that the pay check is usually a set amount and you can't go beyond that in spending.

7. keris hermies

Lol,true. Soooo true. Thanks for your understanding.:)

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Think of it as YOUR contrbution to the household I know of a lady who only pays her kids to do jobs that are above and beyond their regular chores. He theory is that everyone should contribute to the running of the household. When I was a kid even through some of college, my biggest job was to stay in school and do well. I was given a set amount of money per week to budget....for food, gas, and entertainment (back when gas was .89 per gallon:eek:). I learned a lot about budgeting and making choices about how to make the most of my money...also about saving for something I really wanted. To be honest....$20 for some bendy vines is a little too much for me and I have a job.....

9. keris hermies

Lol,I know. That's why I wasn't gonna waste my money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.