1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally saying hello properly! Hi all!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by strawberryskittle, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

:cool: Hi everyone,

I've actually been posting in the molting section already, but saw this forum section topic yesterday and thought I really would like to come in and officially say HELLO! I'm new to the forums and to crabbing in general.

I got two hermit crabs while on vacation back in the middle of May. At the time, I admit, I thought they would just be some cute little critters to play around with that would be easy to just have around.... I bought them from a big mesh, open sided cage where there was a tiny dish of water and food and over 100 hermit crabs (the day before, they were happy to tell us we should come back because they were getting a new shipment with all sorts of pretty painted shells!) I think if I went there now, I would be upset because now I know the stress those hermies must have been under...

Since then, I've read up a lot of hermit crabs, freaked out about the tiny kit in which I had them in, and bought a 10 gallon, eco earth, something like 100 shells of all different varieties (got them in huge quantities from eBay from "Wagner's Southern Store", they seem alright), and have another package of toys and foods coming from Crabbage Patch soon.

Reading about these creatures has fascinated me! They certainly aren't the same creatures that the pet stores sold them to me as. They never mentioned substrate, or that I should move them to anything other than the tiny tub they sold them to me in, nor about salt water or molting. :mad:

I have two hermies, one big, and one small. The big one I have discovered is suprisingly big. The shell they had this one in must have been TINY for him. He changed the same day I got him, and kept changing to bigger and bigger shells as I made them available. He's huge! (compared to what I thought he was). Just goes to show how miserable he must have been.

I actually don't know if either is he/she. I also don't have names for them yet. I just can't decide on names. I have not played with them yet, the small one seemed stressed and the big one was always pinching everything he could see :eek:.

As for me, I live in Maryland, work full time as a web developer. I love my hermit crabs! Wow, looong intro :D

Hi all!

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome! Congrats on your crabs! I've had crabs that are in shells SOOO small that you can't even tell whether they are trying to tuck in or come say hello. Those pet stores are horrible! Make sure to post some pictures.:) We always love to see them.

3. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

Hey nice to formally say Hello. I believe I have seen some of your posts. I'm glad you found this website it has helped me out a lot. Everyone around here is very nice and helpful. If you have any questions or problems just use the search feature. If you dont find it there dont be afraid to ask.As for your herit crab in the small shell, I still have a guy in a shell way to small for him. I keep ordering and offering him new shells but no luck. I just got a new shipment for Els Shells so hopefully he likes one of those.

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Yeah, I can't believe he went into that tiny one even slightly willingly! But this one seems to be pretty adventurous so between the shy one and the adventurous one, I think they're adapting okay, and I bought LOADS of shells because I'm terrified by stories of hermies killing each other for shells, even though mine aren't even CLOSE to the same size. One is like 5/8 inch, the other is like inch and a quarter, maybe even a half, I can't even tell anymore! I hope yours hops into a nice shell soon, its always funny to wake up and see them in different shells. :D

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Maybe they went in to it fit them and have now outgrown it.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Hi!! :D Welcome to the forum! I'm going to Maryland for vacation soon. Sherb's shell is kind of small for her, plus it's painted, so I really want her to change soon.

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to HCRU!!! Welcome to the forum!!! Have you got any new hermies yet???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.