1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting crabs!?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by MoribundMaverick, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

In all my years I've never had two crabs fight... I've had one eat another that was molting, but never two fight.
    I've had two new crabs in ISO for the last few weeks, and today was the day for them to go into the big tank with the rest of the crabs. Goliath has been in the big tank with three smaller crabs and they all do just fine. In fact, they seem to be best friends. This is why instead of separating Goliath from the smaller crabs, I just bought a bigger tank for them all to live in. Well, I put the two new crabs in the big tank. One was the size as the three I already had, and the other was somewhere between the size of them and Goliath. As soon as I put them in there, the new medium (I still don't have a name) started trying to change into a shell that had been in there. It was one that was supposed to be for Goliath, and he instantly went over and started raising his fighting claw and opening it up and trying to push himself up and make himself tall... is he trying to fight my medium? I took the medium and put him back into ISO just in case, for until I figure out what's going on. Should I give ALL the crabs a salt water bath? I gave the two new guys one the first day I got them... should I give them all another one? I heard that makes them all the same scent so they won't fight. Is this true? I'm really worried... I don't know what to do!

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Give them all a salt water bath is what i'll do since that will make the bf. If that doesn't do it then just move the aggressive new gut back to the ISO for one week(sorta like a time out) and he probally be friend with Goliath.

3. MoribundMaverick

I gave them all a salt water bath... then tried puting New Guy back in there. Goliath was fine for a little, but then New Guy got around Goliath and Goliath started getting up and making herself seem all super tall... like trying to make herself seem bigger than New Guy. Idk what to do... The sand in ISO is drying out and I really don't wanna leave New Guy in there much longer. Why would Goliath pick out just ONE crab to bully??? I checked before I got the two new crabs and there is plenty of space... but maybe the crabs don't feel that way? I don't know. =\

4. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Goliath is probably going to molt and wants to keep that shell for himself when he does lol

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Ok I had a problem like this from my two ecuadorians when I had trouble introducing them and got good advice from this site(thanks guys!:D) So these are things I would recommend:

1. Move things around in the tank, and if nobody is underground, stir up the substrate. This will help them because it will be like they are both in a new place, so one person won't be like, the "ruler" of the setup.

2. Salt water bath. You did this already.

3. This is kind of the hardest part, but if none of those work, I would do this: wait. It may not have had to do with the shell at all. Take them out of the tank and put them in front of each other, see if they start attacking, and wait. If the attacker starts pulling on the other guy and shaking, or if they start chirping, I would put them back in the tank and do the same thing the next day. If one of them tackles them, tries to go on top of him, I would wait five seconds or so, see what the next thing they do is, and if it seems they are pulling at each other again, take them out and try the same thing tomorrow. It may be that they are trying to find who is "leader" of the tank.

That happened to my two E's and when they happen to come across each other now, they just angrily slap their antennae at each other and walk past them(they have improved a lot. before, one of them would sneak up on the other one and start tackling each other and chirping.)

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

7. MoribundMaverick

I went ahead and put them in the "big" bathtub... a giant punch bowl. Filled it up with salt water and set the both of them in there for a good thirty minutes. At first they'd climb on top of eachother, but after a while they began to behave.. they are now both in the main tank and ignoring eachother. Everybody is calm, except for Jack, who is Goliath's partner in crime. He keeps messing with the New Guy now, but he's about the size of a quarter, and the New Guy is just about medium sized, so there's not much going on there. But I'm wondering if they are doing something weird...
    Goliath is sitting in one corner, and something weird keeps coming out of his shell and he keeps touching it with those little things by their mouth... I don't know what is coming out of his shell though. It looks like either a little leg or a tongue. I know he has those little legs, but I don't think that's what it is. Anyways, something's coming out of his shell, and he touches it with those little bitty things in front of his mouth, and then touches his eyeballs.
    New Guy is sitting in the opposite corner, and he's doing the same thing!
    What's going on here.... are they maybe grooming themselves for a battle? I didn't even know they had... whatever it is... inside their shells.

8. MoribundMaverick

Okay... this is getting VERY funny and entertaining. I have two crabs that are similar in size- the ones that were fighting earlier today. The older one is Goliath, and the other one is the one that just came out of ISO because he's new. I've decided to name in NKIT, standing for New Kid In Tank. Because that's what it seems like... Goliath was the head hancho and now NKIT is challenging him. The funny part is that each have their own little croney, and that each croney looks like the other- the only difference is that one has a deformed eyeball.
    So Goliath has Jack to follow him around and they are best buds, and NKIT has Chermo (yes, named after Chermo on here) to follow him around... too funny!

9. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

It sounds like Goliath was showing that he was the Alpha. Glad they all settled down.

As for Goliath's strange thing coming out of his shell: Is he cleaning his shell? They scoop out their poo in a similar way. OR - check to see if something is irritating him. Maybe another bath will help.

10. MoribundMaverick

Yea... I had looked at him because at first I thought that might have been it. Nothing that I could see. Both of them stopped after a few hours. I think NKIT is the new alpha... because he's sitting where Goliath used to sit, and Goliath is on the opposite side of the tank.

11. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I wouldn't give them another bath. One 30 minute bath is a loooong enough time for a bath. Maybe he was rubbing his stubs against his body to clean himself after the bath

12. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

How do you pronouce your hermit Nkit.

13. MoribundMaverick

Yea I just gave them teh one bath, I only give my crabs baths when I get a new one and see that there might be issues, so that they'll all smell the same way.
    I pronounce NKIT just by saying the letters... it stands for New Kid In Tank.
    Kind of like New Kids on the Block... ^_^ I liked that band when I was little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.