1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fight for occupied shell

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by imported_Donna M, Jul 23, 2011.

1. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

First, Goliath went down and stole Shorty's shell while Shorty was molting. I was freaking out, but I dug down, found Shorty (who luckily only had about a week left to go to complete his molt), gave him another shell, then covered him back up.  He surfaced about a week later in his new shell, looking good & seemed to like his new shell.

Just as Shorty surfaced, the thief (Goliath) went down for about 3 weeks.  I don't know if small crabs can molt that quickly, but he came back up today.

So now, Shorty apparently recognizes his old shell and wants it back!  He's being very aggressive towards Goliath, his claws wide open, and climbing all over him.  I'm very afraid he's going to hurt Goliath, or try to rip him out of his shell.  I separated them twice tonight, but Shorty just keeps going back, looking for revenge.

Of course I can't monitor them 24/7.  If Shorty hurts Goliath, I'm going to be very upset.  If I put one crab in a separate tank, won't the fight just start all over when I reunite them?  Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!  Now I'm afraid what's going to happen when I go to sleep tonight!  Help!

Donna M

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

iso them and give them the raw honey, worm casting, cuttle bone and reg foods for a few days then before you put them back together give them a bath in their dechlor water so they smell the same. this worked for me. also make sure there are other shells in the tank

3. imported_Donna M

I'll do it!  Hadn't even thought about bathing them.  I checked them out this morning when I woke up, and both are still intact, so that's a relief! 

Thank you much!!

Donna M.

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Allot of crabs get worked over after they come up from their molt. Its the smell. It doesnt have to be the shell.After a day or two everything starts to go back to normal. It's the name of the game.
    Yes small crabs can molt for only 3wks but they will molt more often too!

5. imported_Donna M

Really, Trixie?  I've had my crabs maybe 3 years or so, and I guess I've just been lucky because I haven't had any of my crabs acting aggressive after another one molts.  I thought for sure Shorty just wanted his shell back!  LOL!  Kind of silly of me, huh??

I bathed them real quick and things got really calm after that.  So the crisis is over.  They are back to ignoring each other....LOL.

Thanks for your input!