1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fifth pair of legs has mini-claw?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by OneOnion, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hey, I was wondering if you guys knew that hermit crabs' fifth leg pairs have claws? I never knew that until now, when my newest PP, Brynner, was cleaning himself. He's in a very small shell, so small you can clearly see his 4th pair of legs when he's walking. When he is cleaning himself, though, he brings out his fifth pair of legs. They have small claws attached to them! like a mini feeder claw, except elongated. Man, idk about you but I never knew that. Please share your input, and if this was already obvious, sorry for being dumb. xD

2. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Well, since no one has replied I will.

I think i've seen those little pinchers. I don't know if it's normal or not, though.

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Mine have those little claws on their fifth pair of legs, too, so I assume that it is normal.

4. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I'm not the smartest person when it comes to hermit crab biology, all I know is
    a claw will come out of nowhere and pick up some food, maybe those are the claws you're talking about.

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Nope. I don't think so. I really think that the claw attached to the fifth pair of legs is normal hermit crab anatomy.

6. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Hmmm...interesting...

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yes. It 'tis. :chuckle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.