1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Since fiber is important in a hermie's diet can they take metamucil which is powdered psylium husk?

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

i would just stick to the main food on the list( just to be safe)

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

I googled the ingredients for metamucil
    Ingredients

Psyllium Husk, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid

maltodextrin is a starch. Starches have no nutritional value, and since crabs eat very little I wouldn't reccomend it. If you want to feed them just psyllium husks, you can get that at Whole Foods or online.

4. Switchblade_Brigade

Well, my dad uses equate brand which is almost the same but generic and has different inactive ingredients. here they are.

psyllium husk

polysorbate-80

sucrose

Is this safe?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Polysorbate 80 (commercially also known as Tween® 80, a trademark of Uniqema/ICI) [1] is a nonionic detergent and emulsifier derived from polyoxylated sorbitol and oleic acid, and is often used in foods. Polysorbate 80 is a viscous water soluble yellow liquid. The hydrophilic groups in this compound are polyethers also known as polyoxyethylene groups which are polymers of ethylene oxide. In the nomenclature of polysorbates, the numeral designation following polysorbate refers to the lipophilic group, in this case the oleic acid (see polysorbate for more detail).
    Polysorbate 80 is often used in ice cream to prevent milk proteins from completely coating the fat droplets. This allows them to join together in chains and nets, to hold air in the mixture, and provide a firmer texture, holding its shape as the ice cream melts.
    Polysorbate 80 is also used in commercial pickle products.

I got this off of Wiki
    Polysorbate 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theres a chart on the right side of the screen, and it said main hazards: Irritant.

I'd suggest to not use it. Simply look in stores or online for psyllium husks.

6. Switchblade_Brigade

Ok, I was just wondering because my dad has a big stockpile of the stuff. Thanks!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.