1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Pamela_C, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

Okay I just ordered some stuff from the addiction store:

Mangrove Meal - Mangrove meal is dried, ground, young (12"-16") Hawaiian red mangrove plants. Your land hermit crabs will enjoy munching on this treat. It is full of the cellulose and nitrogen needed in order for the crabs to manufacture chitin (one of the main components of the exoskeleton) when molting. Highly nutritious and beneficial.

Nutrition Supplement Kit - cuttlebone treats in a 1.5x1.5 bag: chamomile, green tea, beepollen, carrot, banana, kelp, hibiscus, wheatgrass, spinach, beet, calendula, pink rose and passionflower.
    Flower Chillys: Sunflower and Hibiscus.
    Fruit Chillys: Pineapple and Honey & Pollen.
    Oyster shells, sea bisquit, coral calcium, mini starfish, plastic spoon and a fish oil capsule.

Since my crabs are brand new and for future ones-
    Sick PPS Kit - This mix is for brand new crabs or ones that are sick. The kit includes royal jelly honey stick, spirulina powder, crystal red shrimp, dandelion root, powdered whole egg, egg shells, earthworm castings and organic boost powder.

Variety Jar Pack #2 - Dandelion Root, Turkey, Golden Raisins, Red Bell Peppers, Green Peas, Raspberry Leaf, Egg Powder, Meal Worms,Sprouting Red Lentil Seeds, Vegetable Pasta, Goji Berries, Lentil Mix,Mixed Grains,Roasted Corn,Green Beans, Bee Pollen Powder, Pumpkin Seed Powder, Carrot Powder, Morning Mix,Alfalfa seeds,Red Clover seeds, Buckwheat seeds, Chia seeds.

Question....lol.....what do I do with it once I get it? I mean. I know they should get protein, veggies, and fruit daily. But when do you give the other stuff that don't really fit into that category? And how much? One is about the size of a quarter and the other is smaller.

I have given banana (which they seem to love) freeze dried shrimp (didn't notice any eaten. Today I gave meal worms, rice crispies, added cuttle bone.

We are on day three for Sandy and day two for Sebastian, so they are fairly new, still trying things out. Good thing I have a turtle and fish as they can share some of the grub.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

they dont eat much.............just a smidge of each and change it out every day - just have fun with it and rotate it

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

you can give them treats too with their meals

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Gosh i wish I had that PPS stuff when I was adopting a lot of crabs! A good site on nutrition is kilimangaro's guide to hermit crab nutrition or whatever it's called. it will come up if you google it. It has all the different catagories of nutrition and what foods are high in it for crabs. I went to the grocery store in the bulk food section and bought a tiny bag of each ( the grocery store person must have thought I was mad buying 3 almonds, lol. And then I went home and made a square box with 16 sqare shelfs 4 by 4 in carboard. And then I wrote calcium protein blah blah along the top one nutrtion on top of the four top sqares and the same thing along the side so it was sort of a grap and I could put something that was protein and calcium in one box and just calcium in another... Anyone else who looked at it would just be like what the heck is going on in this jumble of boxes but whatever. So then some days I would take calcium and others protein etc etc. Ok you are probably lost but just look at that sight and you can come up wit your own way. Some people use pill boxes and premake food every day... Hope this helps.

5. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

You guys are great. Thanks a bunch. Of course I'll be adding fresh food as well.

I like your idea of the organization coco. I need to be able to pick what I want from each section without sitting here for an hour trying to remember what each one is for.

I'm really getting into this.

6. shortcrab71

shortcrab71 "Never Molted"

I started making my own food, which they seem to love. I have noticed that when I try a new food they all come out. I put new foods in a different feeding dish than all the other foods I have tried. That way I know who likes it and who wont even give it a chance. Mine seem to be very picky eaters.
    Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

7. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

I just tried almonds last night and within five minutes Sebastain came out from the cocohut and ate some. :) I do have a food dehydrator, so I may have to start doing my own as well. Fun, fun, fun.

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Kilimanjaro's guide seems decent, but just to throw my 2 cents in, here are my groups I use for my crabs. It helps me out because I use a thread organizer box to hold all of my baggies of food, so I have all the foods of each type in their own section in the box.

1. Flowers - these provide tannins that are great for coloring in your crabs, as well as cellulose. Calendula flower is the favorite in my tank.

2. Fruits - natural sugars, coloring compounds, vitamins and minerals.

3. Cellulose - mangrove, dandelion root/leaf/etc., raspberry & strawberry leaves, oak leaves, etc. Great for building strong exos!

4. Algaes/Seaweeds - algae crisps, spirulina, kelp, sea lettuce, dulse, etc. Good sources of iron, protein, calcium, and are something crabs eat in the wild.

5. "Trace" - this is where I put multi flakes, color bright flakes, worm castings, crab-safe edible salts, and anything else I can't figure out where to put.

6. Nuts, grains - These contain oils and fatty acids that are good for crabs. I have walnuts, Amish 7 grain oatmeal, pumpkin and flax seed, peanuts, soy nuts, macademia nuts, pecans, almonds...walnuts are definitely the favorite.

7. Cuttlebone treats - I keep these separate from the other calcium sources because they are flavored and may be more tempting to the crabs because of it. However, crabs may not associate the cuttlebone treats with calcium when they need calcium, so I do keep my non-flavored calciums separate.

8. Chitinous proteins - this is where I put all the dried bugs and dried 'ocean bugs' like shrimp, krill, plankton, tubifex worms, mealworms, silkworms, crickets, bloodworms...these provide both protein and chitin, an important nutrient in building exos pre- and post-molt.

9. Calcium - we all should realize the importance of this. One thing I do that I haven't heard of others doing is I save uneaten bits of exos after molts that I find during deep cleans and offer these as a source of calcium as well.

10. Non-chitinous protein - this is for fish, egg, etc. This is good as it's a straight source of protein for when they need it.

I do make sure that I dust my crabs' food with Astaxanthin (from the Addiction store) at least every other day and especially if none of the foods I offer have Zeaxanthin or Astaxanthin in them.

9. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

Yea I just got my order the only problem is that most of the stuff is not labeled and I don't know what half of them are! lol Time to get out the label maker and figure this out.

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

If you email Vicki, she can help you figure out what's what. She helped me on my last order!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.