1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding seaweed?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by pblove, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I got the hermie family some Green Marine Algae from "Ocean Nutrituon".
    How do you feed it, just put some in their bowl or wet it first???
    Last night, I tore off a little piece and wet it first, it is just stinking and no one touched it?

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I haven't tried any of the pet food seaweeds, except Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies. I put that in their dry food dish every other day. I haven't really noticed if they eat it or not, because the dry food dish is fairly popular and it gets stirred around several times a day by different crabs.

I use the human grade seaweeds, but just because seaweed is a huge part of their diet in the wild, doesn't mean they necessarily want to eat dried or rewetted dried seaweed. You sometimes have to fool them.

When you wet it for instance, wet it with warm ocean water -- the briny water is a more natural smell for seaweed. If you have a food processor, next time you offer your crabs fish or scrambled eggs, even shrimp or rice or something, run it in the food processor with the seaweed, either dry or reconstituted. Sprinkle the mixture lightly with calcium powder and sea salt.

You can also try getting some spirulina or blue green algae powder and mixing it with honey and banana or other favorite treats.

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

thanks Kerrie, you should have the title,
    Hermit Crab Gourmet Chief
    or
    Hermie's Holistic Dietician!
    I did just go out and buy a mini chopper for them, plus a mortar and pestle, they sure are some expenisive rescues I have here!
    Oh, and I forgot, the jigsaw I bought the other night for their coconuts!
    I am definaltey out of control here for these crabs and dogs!!! [​IMG]

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Just call me Julia Crab, it'll do. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.