1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding Frenzy

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Kali_Ma, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Dinner was a big hit tonight. This is about 15 minutes time lapse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

What was on the menu, Kerie?

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

It was astonishingly simple really. Tonight it was leftover free-range Napa rib roast from Xmas dinner, a button mushroom, some thawed corn, chopped red pepper, skin-on banana with a large spoonful of manuka honey,

I think it was the honey. It's all but gone now.

4. Matt

Matt Guest

Yeah, I wish my feeding time was as cool as that.

I put in a few pommegranit seeds, a slice of peel still on bananna, 2 whole grapes, sliced, a slice of an oragnge (which I ate the rest of) and a little bit of peanut butter. There has been no reaction yet. I guess my crabs are just more keen of steak, as am I!

Anyway, it's great that you can get your crabs to react like that to food. I had one of mine take a sample of the pommegranit but he just walked into the cocohut instead of chowing down.

5. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

WOW!!!  :eek: I have NEVER had that many hermies at the food dishes!!!  (I think mine eat in shifts, though!)  I had four of them there at once, but that was on Thanksgiving, when they were enjoying a turkey wing, greenbeens, sweet potatoes, & pumpkin pie.

6. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Dude, that's better than a dogfood commercial!

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

That was a first for my tank, too. The biggest reaction previously was a four-crab line at the milk dish on the first whole milk trial.

I was really astounded by last night's reaction, which is why I took so many pictures -- there's another dozen on my hard drive that I didn't post!

8. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

So how is the milk trial going?  Any results for us yet?

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I just have to get the energy to write the article.

Long story short: dairy is not lethal to crabs, and given as an occasional treat, won't harm them. They like it in fact. Extreme long-term testing still needs to be done, of course, but the basic recommendation now is once every 30 to 60 days they can have cheese, milk, or live-culture yogurt. My crabs went absolutely bonkers when I melted some cheese on a toast-creation. They really enjoyed the melted cheese.

And for those who haven't seen it, here's proof crabs like milk:

[​IMG]