1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

favorite foods

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Becca, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Thanks Gweebles...may have to try it.

2. Crabby Baby

Crabby Baby Hi, I'm New Here!

I have had great luck with seedless black grapes,cucumber,sliced kiwi,chopped cooked chicken. Big winner is the black grapes. No takers at all on carrots, but I can't say that I like carrots either!

3. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

My crabbies arrived early this morning - nothing but surprises, lol. Their first dinner was finely diced baby carrots, some FMR pellets, some zoo med fruit salad treat tossed is a sauce of natural peanutbutter & freeze dried shrimp reconstituted with glub water. They put a decent dent in the heap - I have no idea how much food they need.

I got the FMR food free with an order - is it bad?

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm glad your crabs are okay! [​IMG]

Unfortunately FMR food is bad. Julia Crab says that they use additives that attract the crabs to the food even though it's not all that nutritious. I was using the FMR treat up until recently because my crabs LOVED it, and I thought it was okay ... just dried fruit. But it turns out that it has the same stuff in it, and that's why my crabs loved it so much. I have one crab that I suspect ate only FMR treat, but I didn't realize it until it was too late. [​IMG] His color got worse after each molt, and then finally he died.

5. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

I'll toss the stuff. 4 of my crabs survived - 3 never showed signs of life at all. The itsy bitsy one (Scooter) woke up after 5 min. in the tank & spent the rest of the afternoon exploring. The other 3 stretched their legs, moved a few inches & 2 parked, the last submerged. The 3 who died were wearing the wrong shells for PP's - strange.

I just read the ingredients in the HBH hermit crab cookies - propylene glycol, artificial vanilla flavoring, & ethoxyquin - guess I'll toos that too.

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

It's kinda scary all the stuff they put in foods nowadays isn't it? Our food, and pet foods too. Unfortunately the FDA hasn't gone commando on labeling the pet foods...yet ?

Congrats on the new babies. And sorry about the ones who didn't make it. Does your supplier have a guarantee? I would definately get in touch with them. And mention the bad stuff in their food too?!

Happy Crabbing!

7. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Convinced my mom to buy "hermit food" finally. We have...
    mango
    coconut
    hydrogenated oil free peanut butter
    and she saved some chicken from before she seasoned the fajitas!
    and then she saved egg shells from the meatballs

We'll see if the little pickies can stand the yumminess bombardment.

8. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Here's what ended up being mixed together (all measurements are approximations):

Fruit Fantasia
    1 cup Coconut (fresh and oh so hard to crack)
    1 Mango
    2 Apple slices
    10 grapes
    1/3 of a banana

Vegetable Veg-Out
    10 grape tomatoes
    handful cauliflower
    2 average pieces of brocolli
    handful spinach leaves
    2 chopped baby carrots
    1/4 of a bell pepper
    one egg shell

I also tried organic peanut butter and some chicken.

Unfortunately, the crew doesn't seem to have touched anything. But who knows, I'll try again tonight.

9. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

That Veg-Out sounds great!My guys like veggies more than fruit.
    Remember,if a recipe is rejected to wait about a month before you try it again.One reason that the recipes were not eaten is because some of the foods are not familiar to the crabs.Or they could just be full from a feast a few days or even a week ago,and just aren't interested.They may not like it now,but they may change their minds in a month.Try about three times before you give up!(Just a neat little tip about eating I picked up from Kali_Ma,the food queen.LOL)

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

The haven't really been eating recently, at least not that I've caught them doing. Merlin does craw through the food dish and get all sticky though. Then I have to wipe him off to keep him from getting peanut butter all over the substrate. He's my least shy crab, so he doesn't seem to mind it much.

Thanks for the tip...I'll keep offering it in small portions until they decide they're hungry. I made about half a Cool Whip container of the stuff and I'm going to freeze it so it lasts longer and then thaw it as I need it. I may limit my peanut butter use. It's just SO messy when you have a crab that thinks food is for swimming in and not eating.

11. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Haha...I hear ya.They like to drag themselves through the messiest foods,don't they?Pureed[sp?] fruit,honey....anything mushy.But when it's solid foods they just sit at the edge of the food dish like perfect little crabbies. [​IMG]Perfect crabs....hehe...that's funny.

12. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I've discovered if I make the peanut butter amount small and move Merlin to the other end of the tank (he's usually in my way, goes "oh crap, a big hand" and runs into the food bowl) the mess is mostly eliminated.

13. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

So far the only thing that I've noticed that my hermies really like is
    Apples
    &
    Bread,
    seperate. They won't even touch they're staple food

14. Crabby Baby

Crabby Baby Hi, I'm New Here!

Mine loooove shrimp. I have little bitty dried shrimp, it is actually "supposed to be" for reptiles. I have a large crab that really loves his "stinky shrimp". I have had good luck with fresh cherries, cucumber and green grapes. I sprinkle a little "fruit and flower" around anything new I'm testing out. Crabs can't seem to resist the smell of the fruit and flower food/treat.:)

15. Jason

Jason Moderator

Never thought to try the dried shrimp, hope my turtles don't mind if I share them with my crabs. :) Bananas are always popular, maybe give them a try.

Jason

16. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Hi, I'm New Here!

Mine love shrimp, krill, ground nuts, raisins, organic dried papaya, and seaweed.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

Mine love exo's of shrimp. I found some red shrimp, pink shrimp, meal worms earthworms etc that I feed mine. Stinky but they like it alot.

18. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Our crabs love dried blood worms, rice krispies(occasional treat). They love apple, mango, shrimp pellets, and cuttlebone. They drag broccoli around and hide it and within a day i'm diggin it out because of the smell. I had a crab once hide a piece of it in the corner and sit by it all day and sure enough was eating it that night. It was like he guarded it all day. LOL Their latest thing is to drag the food dish into the salt water dish. They are like midnight warriors :D!

19. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

Caramel, Slugger, and Thunder all love whole wheat bread (especially the crust!). Slugger just loves it and is always the first one to go and dig in. I put a fresh piece of bread in one time, and as soon as I set it down, Slugger was right there ready to eat! It was funny. :p

20. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

My crabs favs are oatmeal, banana and apple! Anything sweet.. they go crazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.