1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farewell Xander the Great :(

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by shmama, Aug 26, 2007.

1. shmama

shmama Guest

:sad5:  I lost my sweet, lovable straw, XANDER.  He & Hana were the only crabs left in the 20g long tank & I was sure they were both molting.  Last week Hana came up & apparently hadn't been molting (no hairs or sharp nails) so I feared the worst because she had been under what seemed like about a month & I hadn't seen her at all.  So I dug down gently right where she had come up from & found my sweet Xander all eaten.  I didn't want to believe it so I put him back down there, hoping that maybe he was still behind the chewed up exo,  but checked on him today & looked in the light to make sure & found he was gone.  :crybaby2:  I am very sad about him because I really loved this guy & he was so tame with me right from the start.  I think that the substrate mix I use now (has about 1/2 sand to it & 1/2 echo earth instead of the higher "ee" ratio that I had in the 20g) makes a difference in making it more difficult for the other crabs to locate the molters.  So I am sticking with the sandier mix like I more recently started using.  I am doing a deep clean of the 20 & the 10g & will be using the 10 as a ISO unit after I have moved about 12 small to med. PP's into the 20g.  I will also be getting some Equies to add in soon.  I sure miss my sweet boy Xander!  I had him about 7 months & he was one of my favorite straws.  Hana is in the 50g with all my other straws & a few PPs & Ruggies & she is doing well.  They can't help the way they were created, so I harbor no anger towards her, just regret that I didn't make the right call on her molting.  I guess it's the hardest part of the learning process with these guys.
    Goodbye XANDER the GREAT! You are already sorely missed my little friend!

[img=300x244]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/shmama2006/100_3058.jpg[/img]

2. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

oh i am so sorry shmama, i guess it's part of life, ya know? i was in petco yesterday and i saw this crab and the lady was digging around cuz i wanted to see all their cute little faces and one died. poor guy, he was kinda small too, the conditions were great. i am so so sorry shmama.  :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:  beautiful crab though.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:huggies: I am so sorry for your loss~ :crybaby2:

4. It's always so hard to lose a favorite.  (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))  So sorry for your loss.

5. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

So sorry for your loss chick. Xander was a beautiful crab  :hug2: