1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXTREMELY Picky Eaters

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by luv2talk1, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2talk1

luv2talk1 "Never Molted"

Ok, they don't like cucumbers, carrots, celery, eggs, cranberries, oranges, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apples. They LOVE chicken, hate ham. I am having such a hard time finding things to "mix it up" for them. Oh, no honey, peanut butter. They just don't touch it. Any suggestions?

Missi
    P.S. still have over 6 under the sand. Whether they're molting or just hanging out under there I don't know. I walked by last night and saw one against the front...it was so cute. I sit at the table and can hear them scratching against the glass on the bottom of the tank :hahahaha:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Have they been used to store bought food? If so it may take a while to wean them off of it. They'll come around. :popcorn:

oopps...I meant to say "store bought food in containers sold at pet stores".

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

When mine came up from molting they ate like pigs. Now they don't eat to much.They like the addiction store food best. I do feed them meat, fruit, and veggies. They dont eat it but I give it to them anyway.
    You should'nt feed the crabs ham. It is cured in sodium (table salt) which is not good for them. Feed them meat without seasoning.

4. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

man, i dont know about you guys, but my crabs LOVE dandelions.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yeah, but you should see my TORTOISES eating dandelions!!! You know, I sometimes put peanut butter around the edge of the food bowl. I mean, sometimes the crabs come in and not eat anything but usually you can tell if they ate the peanut butter, or anything on the inside. They may be eating when you are asleep or taking such small bites you can't see.

6. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Are you sure they don't like any of those things??? Just because you dont see them eating it doesn't mean they don't like it...Crabs usually eat at night anyways...I thought my crabs didnt like papaya because I never saw them eating it, but if I looked REALLY closely I saw little pull marks on the pieces. :)

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Just because they don't eat it once doesn't mean they won't eat it the next time it's served. They're kind of like kids that way. Offer them a nutritious meal every night, even if they didn't eat it the last time. My guys tend to like foods that they can smell, so if you're offering something like blueberries, try cutting them open so the smell is released into the air in the tank. Celery leaves (the yellow ones from the little stalks in the middle) are a hit in my tank, but not the celery stalks themselves. Oh, and ham has all kinds of nasty stuff in it - human grade salts, flavorings, etc. You shouldn't be offering it to them - it's not good for them.

8. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I once read a hermit crab carebook (really thin) that got EVERYTHING wrong, like with food, this guy feeds his crabs SALTINES. And he says that salt is A-okay. So, just for reference, DO-NOT get diet information from care-books, or really, don't gaet ANYTHING from care books. I don't know if tey all have bad info. but I've heard that they do.

9. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

As some people mentioned they tend to take very small bites, depending on how big they are. They can also be storing it in their hiding spots. When I feed mine peanuts or raisins, they will steal it from the bowl and bring it to one of the huts. They did that with the eggshell I put in as well. I saw him drag it half way across the tank and bring it in the hidey before he started to pick at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.