1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rankindragon

rankindragon Hi, I'm New Here!

Here's my exo terra, it's small but I have a 55g in storage for when the small guys get bigger.

Attached Files:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

very nice- I bet you will have fun with the 55 when the time comes :D

3. rankindragon

Hermez, I meant to put this thread in the under 20g photo contest, but I've never posted pics on forums before and was having all sorts of problems. Oh Well!! You live and learn!!

Your pictures of your crabs on your photo bucket page are absolutely gorgeous...I've always fantasized about a big tank which if everything goes well with the smaller ones leading up to that size I'll have one. But how do you seriously keep track of what crabs are under with so many? Do you keep a daily count and then put them in iso when the time comes?? I try to keep a journal that helps with mine, but I just have 3... Kudos to you!!

4. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i saw painted shells! BAD GET THEM OUT NOWWWWWWWWWW!

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You don't know that there are not crabs in those shells, rankindragon could have crabs in the painted shells and knows to get them out once the crabs go in natural shells, you should ask them before telling them to get them out. I find that rude and like I said you don't know.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yes. If they are painted shells without crabs you will want to take them out. The paint often chips off the shells and the crabs eat it. The paint is toxic so they don't feel well and sometimes die. Anyways, Your tank looks great! How many gallons is it? Also how many crabs do you have? I think the dead line for the photo contest ended because it looks like the polls been posted.
    Welcome to HCRU!:D

7. rankindragon

Hi, I have 3 teeny size crabs, and it's the medium size exoterra. So I don't know the exact gallon equivalent I would say it's at least a six gallon. The sand/eco mix is at least 5 inches deep, with both fresh and saltwater pools.

This is an old pic of my tank that I was trying to post on the contest, but I've never posted pics anywhere on any web, so I was having problems. I did not really intend to make a new thread at all. When I hit reply it would not let me post pics but new thread did. Heck, I really didn't even know what new thread meant to be honest. I spent 2 hours just trying to figure out how to make my pics smaller in order to post them. See, I'm definitely not the best at computers.

But anyway,, Yes I know about painted shells. This pic was taken before I removed them.

But I do also currently have one crab that I got on 4/27/09 that will not come out of his painted shell no matter what. His shell has a peace sign on it. Perhaps he's a hippie crab!!!

8. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

do you maybe have the exact same shell but non painted, maybe try to offer that to him if you do and see what he does.

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sometimes crabs just won't change shells. Ecuadorians are particularly known to not change shells but I don't know what type you have. If you give me the measurements of your tank I'll find out how many gallons it is for you.

10. rankindragon

The tanks is 12" by 12" by 12" and I used a gallon tank converter site and it said the tank is 7.48 US gallons. I have 3 teeny size crabs due to the bullseye crab sizing chart on another site. I have a 10 gallon, 20g, 55g in storage in the basement when I need to go bigger. We've had lizards, fish, etc. years ago in the past. We don't throw away anything pet related that is still good and could be used again. :)

As to the crab in the painted shell. I'm almost positive he's just a PP but he doesn't seem to want to change shells. I have at least 4 indentical shells to his in there and some a size up and some a size down, but no luck so far!! :cool:

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That tank looks amazing! :D Where are the hermies in the pic?

12. rankindragon

Thanks! It's been quite awhile since I took that pic, so I'm not 100% on this, but I think 2 were back in the hermie hut and 1 was down under for a molt.

13. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

how many hermies?

14. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Cool! :) I think I see one on the pile of shells, too.

15. rankindragon

Only 3 hermies, I blew up my pic to see. Only 2 in the hut, 1was under for a molt, I double checked with my hermie diary. He came back up after 2 months. He was really grumpy for awhile after the molt. I picked him up to look him over after his molt and he pinched me. I've never been pinched before by a hermit crab before that. It does hurt! But he seems to have returned to his normal self after awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.