1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything is going pretty well...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by nickdolin, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdolin

nickdolin Hi, I'm New Here!

Just an update to my original post.

I've bought 2 more to put in the 10 Gal viv which brings me up to 4 sm/med crabs which I feel is plenty for the size of the enclosure at this point.

I'm still waiting on my digital therm/hygro to come in but with the UTH on the side and daily misting (with moss & 2 water bowls) I'm pretty sure it's humid/warm enough. :banana:

I got the food in from HCP which seems to be very good food and I'm doubtful that there is much I could add to it;

Ingredients: Whole freeze dried shrimp, whole freeze dried plankton, pineapple, soy nuts, whole freeze dried bloodworms, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, pure plain salt, bananas, almonds, spirulina, spinach, potatoes, carrots, snap peas, sunflower seeds, apple, red leaf lettuce, strawberries, walnuts, tortilla chips (stone ground white corn, vegetable oil(sunflower or corn oil), water, trace of lime), coconut, raspberries, calcium supplement, mineral supplement.

I've got 2 that come up at night but I'm unsure of the other 2 as perhaps they are still de-stressing or molting..

I've also added some shells and the 2 that come up have changed shells so hopefully they are happier in their new homes.

Otherwise, I think things are going pretty well up to this point :twirl:

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

That's good to hear. I love the HCP food, they have a very nice selection. It seems you are doing pretty good with your new crabs, keep it up! =)

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

While that food you bought does sound like a pretty balanced diet, crabs don't like eating the same thing every day. They're biologically opposed to eating the same thing (with a few exceptions) within up to a 1 week period of the last time they smelled or ate it. So while that food will give you a good place to start from, you'll need more than just that one food for them to eat. Crabs fed the same thing on a daily basis have at times starved themselves to death.

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Yes, 4 is plenty for a 10 gallon tank, right now I have 6 in a 10 gallon tank while i wait to get all the substrate for my 55 gallon.

5. GinaLovesCritters

GinaLovesCritters Hi, I'm New Here!

I heard that two crabs per gallon was a good way to measure, and then I thought about it some, and read some more, and I realized it doesn't really count unless you're really using all of the upper gallons too..

Congratulations on your new crabs! My PP are not really active during the day, but they romp around a lot at night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.