1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

euthanasia?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Hypothermia is no longer considered an appropriate method of euthanasia. In many cases there can be a sensation of pain, in others paralysis with suffocation etc.

This is not an endothermy vs exothermy issue.

There are more humane ways to do this that freezing.

Keith

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

What are the more humane ways?

3. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

Yes, I've read this in regards to fish. Euthanasia in mammals (including humans) is an overdose in anesthetic type drugs, usually anticonvulsants. But I am unaware on how to anesthetize a crustacean. The point of euthanasia is to prevent prolonged, unavoidable pain before death. So, with no other options, I suppose an hour of freezing death would be an improvement over a week of agony. Please enlighten us, Keith, on the best way to euthanize a crab in an emergency situation.

I would hate to find that my crab had been horribly mangled in a terrible construction site accident, and then all I could do is sit by watching while it died very slowly. :eek: :rolleyes: But seriously, you never know what could happen.

4. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

It is/was also a very common method for euthanizing amphibians and reptiles. There is some work that documents that nosiceptors actually have their threshold lowered when temps go down in frogs. IOW - they fire more readily.
    Yep, though you would be surprised as to what is used in humans - at least criminals.

Tell me, have you ever euthanized another living creature?

Please don't take this the wrong way - but why then are you giving advice on euthanasia?

Um - no, that is a reason where one might consider euthanasia. It is not the point of euthanasia.

The point of euthanasia is to end a life as painlessly, as "good" as possible, what has brought you to that place is another matter. Let us keep our terms strait and precise.

There are other options.

I am sorry - did I step on your toes? Lets ratchet down the sarcasm.

Decapods are not easy to euthanize, but it can be done. What you are going for is one of two things - rapid destruction of the pain centers (essentially the brain) or anesthesia.

Rapid destruction of the brain - massive trauma. It is gruesome, but effective. I realize that this sounds terrible, but done correctly it would relieve any suffering immediately. In most crabs one could very effectively destroy the brain and associated neural tissues near instantaneously. Now in larger specimens this might be a challenge and it would not be my first choice if the following were feasible.

Anesthesia: I would, before I ever needed it, contact a local exotics veterinarian and discuss the following with him/her: Inhalant anesthesia followed by euthanasia using destruction of the brain or ganglia, immersion in alcohol or formalin and/or injection of KCL into the hemolymph.

In short - to anesthetize with appropriate agents and then euthanasia is best, rapid CNS destruction is a next best choice if it can be done properly (depending on the person and the crab). Freezing - may well intensify the animals discomfort while making it appear all nice and peaceful simply because they cannot react. The goal here is to make the animal confortable, not just the onlookers.

I would hate that for you as well - but there are better ways to deal with this than freezing.

If it were my crab I know it would be inhalant agents followed by formalin or alcohol immersion, painless, rapid and preserves the tissues for histopath evaluation. But the most important word above is painless.

Keith

5. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

If I came off rudely aggressive toward you, I apologize. But perhaps you are unaware that your first post seemed offensive and judgmental (maybe to Nikki) without explanation of the better alternatives mentioned, or why you know. I could be the only one who thought so, but I noticed another one of your posts in a different thread had much the same tone. I do appreciate you taking the time to expand upon your statement though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.