1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

euthanasia?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Give your other hermit crabs mite baths, too. The mites on Eileen might've spread to them. :) Once again good luck

2. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I can do the big guy but everyone else seems to be down for a nice molt. I'll check 'em when they come back up.

3. YouveGotCrabs

Update: Finally got Eileen to go naked! Got her shell good and boiled, and rinsed all the buggies off her with DC water. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of them still crawling around on her...I guess maybe the two mite baths got most of 'em. Anyhoo, I flushed out and cooled down her shell and tried to stick her back in it, but only had limited success. I suspect her booty is really too big for it. I was hoping she'd cram it back in there herself but she hasn't had the energy (or the legs) to do much more than hang mostly out of it. So today I took my jumbo's old shell (pretty good sized, heavy, unwieldy "fox shell" that he discarded within a couple hours of me offering him a really pretty polished green turbo shell), sprayed some water in it, and carefully tucked Eileen in there (her butt wasn't in her old shell far enough for her to hang on). I figure it's not ideal but it's better than nothing. Hopefully she'll feel better having a shell, even if it is a bit roomier than she'd probably like. At least she'll be able to keep her gills moist and she won't have to stress about her rear end being exposed.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Best of luck. I hope she does well. Keep offering her good calcium and protien etc. My fingers are crossed.

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

One point: Salt water will kill the mites. In fact it is recommended that you use double strength salt water for a mite bath.

6. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Keep in mind that she might grow gel legs... I had a crab lose almost all walking legs and both pinchers after getting attacked during a molt... she came back up and I was SHOCKED. I put her in an iso tank and had to hand feed her for a very long time... eventually she got a bit more strength, and since she was very personable, and had come to trust me a lot more from the hand feeding, I would take her out to have her stretch her legs she did have.. and then she started to grow little gel legs. If you can get them to grow gel legs then that is a VERY good sign, and they'll most likely be able to make it to their next molt, which typically comes a long quicker if they have lost limbs.

7. OneOnion

Yeah, if Eileen survives this, she'll probably trust you forever!:D

8. YouveGotCrabs

She still eats but today she dropped her feeding claw. All she has left is her big claw and since it has not been pinching for a couple weeks now I won't be surprised if she drops it soon too. :-( Handfeeding has been going okay. No gel legs yet. The iso tank is not in an especially dark place during the day, would it be better for me to try to stimulate her to molt by covering the iso with a dark cloth or towel or something? She will have to surface molt, as she cannot walk or dig into the sand.

So yeah, should I try covering the iso with a towel or something and not mess with her for a week or so and see if a week of total darkness (simulating being dug-in for a molt) stimulates her to make with the molting?

9. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Covering with a towel might help to destress... although I'm not sure about her molting right now, she might need to build up her strength.
    Hermit crabs actually have these tiny little things by their mouth that they CAN use to eat. After my crab dropped both her pinchers, she was able to use those to eat, I just had to be VERY patient when feeding her.

10. YouveGotCrabs

Oh I know, I've been feeding her that way for a couple weeks now. She can't walk to the food so I have to hand-feed her.

I'd been waiting for her to drop her feeding pincher as it hasn't been pinching for awhile now. She still seems to have (very) slight movement in her big pincher, though it wouldn't surprise me if she drops it too. Poor critter. I hope it doesn't hurt.

11. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Poor girl. I hope she's all right.:(

12. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

It's good that you boiled her shell so the mites are gone. You should mix salt water with her food, because hermies need salt to break out of their exoskeleton. Maybe knowing she has salt will stimulate her to grow gel limbs. With how much you are caring for her and loving her, she probably thinks your her real mommy! :) Good luck to you and Eileen! My prayers are with you.

13. YouveGotCrabs

I will try the salt water, that's a good idea :)

14. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Just been reading all thats been happening. Man I dont know what to say, I only hope that Eileen can pull through this. Your going a great job for her.
    Best of luck and hang in there Eileen.

15. YouveGotCrabs

Unfortunately Eileen had not been doing well since she dropped her feeding pincher, and this morning when I went to check on her there was a telltale smell. :-(

RIP Eileen. At least you're not leaning anymore.

Nikki

16. OneOnion

I'm so sorry about Eileen. You tried your best and I'm sure she's thankful for that:).

17. NitaRocks!

NitaRocks! (Micro Crab)

So sorry. You tried very super hard!

RIP Eileen. 0: )

18. Dharma Logos

Dharma Logos Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm brand new to this forum and only have a few minutes to reply today. I don't know when, if ever, you should euthanize a hermit crab; but I did once. It was a new crab that fell apart the second day I had her. She only had one leg left, and I wanted to end her suffering. I had only been crabbing a few months and did not know that some crabs molt and fully recover from such situations. I thought of using a microwave or drowing - too painful or slow. I used a hammer. Missed and knocked off her her last leg. Took another swing and busted the shell to pieces. She died instantly. That was by far the most difficult experience I've ever had as a pet owner, and I don't wish it on anyone.

19. YouveGotCrabs

If she totally fell apart the second day you had her she was probably extremely stressed (probably from poor conditions before you got her, crabs don't get to that point in just a day or two) and my guess was she wouldn't have made it anyway. Dropping one leg at a time is not good, but dropping almost all of them at once is a REALLY bad sign.

My mom (she's a marine biologist) says the best way to euthanize a crab is to freeze it. It's relatively quick and painless (because they are cold blooded, it's not as unpleasant an experience as it would be for a warm-blooded critter...their bodies just slow down as the temperature drops till everything stops).

Hopefully nobody here will ever have to use that information.

Nikki

20. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

Thank you for that info Nikki. That is what I had thought would be the best way to euthanize. I hope I never have a need to do so, but as a vet tech I frequently think about those types of "just in case" considerations.

I'm very sorry about Eileen. You really did everything you could for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.