1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

euthanasia?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I've been suspecting that Eileen has not been doing well at all lately (she is the one I bought who was missing her left walking legs and had a wicked case of PPS). Today she dropped another walking leg and I'm pretty sure she's about to drop the last one. I also suspect she may drop her pincher and eating claw as the pincher doesn't pinch down when I put something in it. I put her in iso today but I don't have a very good iso tank yet. I suspect the PPS has become too much for her. She hasn't really been able to walk or dig or anything lately and I'm worried that she is suffering. has anyone else on here ever euthanized a hermie before, and if so, what is the "approved" method? My mom used to euthanize fish that were beyond help by freezing them, and people boil live lobsters and crabs to eat, so I guess either one of these would work. I want Eileen to go with as little pain and suffering as possible. I did a board search for "euthanasia" but I couldn't find anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nikki

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Make sure your temp and humidity is right. Are all your gauges calibrated? You can feed her some shrimp and make sure she is getting veggies, calcium, protein and fats. What substrate do you use? Is it at least twice her height? Is it wet enough that you can poke your finger through and the hole will stay? Please fill out the emergency format.

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I am so sorry to say this but she might die. Spend time with her!

4. YouveGotCrabs

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? About a month

Do you know what species they are? PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? No

Tank Size: 30XT

Lid Type: Glass

Placement of tank in your home: Living room

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Moist play sand, about 6 inches

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? yes

Placement of Gauges: near sand

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % 78 degrees about 90% humidity

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): 25ish watt bulb

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): red CFL, equivalent to 60watt (25ish actually)

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? yes

Is there any metal in your tank? no

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? choya wood, bromeliad, rocks, coco fiber climbing wall

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? DC tap

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? i forget

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes, hermit crab salt

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Dishes

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? 1 or 2 depending on the crab

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? usually

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? Rarely. I gave Eileen a stress coat bath once or twice because she had bad PPS.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? yes

How often do you handle them? infrequently

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? not that I know of

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? yes

What types of foods do you feed? hermit crab food (no ethoxywhatever), FD fruits, veggies, and meat

What do you use as a calcium supplement? cuttlebone
    </span>

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hmm... There could be a problem with 90% humidity, but I don't know if that's enough to drop limbs. Everything sounds fine other than the 90% humidity. Eileen is probably just really stressed from everything... Also could you list the ingredients on the commercial food just to be sure? I would just keep her in good conditions in an iso while she is still alive. If you have the time hand feeding her would be nice too unless she chirps when you pick her up or anything.

6. YouveGotCrabs

I would like to save her if I can, but she seems to be pretty far gone. I haven't seen her eat in ages, she can't really walk or dig, she appears to be about to drop her last walking leg, and she seems too weak/apathetic to pinch. She's wearing a heavy turbo shell (and won't change it), and when she does try to walk she usually just manages to pitch over backwards. I put her in a makeshift 2.5 gallon iso and dug a little hole for her but I'm not really feeling very optimistic. I have a feeling that even if she was to molt right now it would probably kill her.

I may try to hand-feed her, but she's really shy and I suspect it will stress her out more than it will help. Has anyone else on here ever had a crab drop all their legs (except the pincher and feeder...so far) and survive?

That's why I'm asking about euthanasia, because things are looking pretty grim for poor Eileen right now, and I'm starting to think it might be kinder to go ahead and get it over with rather than letting her suffer and subjecting her to a lot more stress.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm sorry about your crab. :( I hope she gets better.
    Like OneOnion said, 90% is too high, but everything else is good. Try to lower it to 75%-78%.
    I know you don't want your hermit crab to suffer, but try to give it some more time to see if she improves. Who knows? Maybe she'll grow gell limbs and molt. Euthanasia should be the last resort (the bold wasn't intended).

8. YouveGotCrabs

I whipped up a special batch of what probably basically amounts to a hermie power bar...hermie food mixed with a bit of karo corn syrup (I would've used honey but I don't have any), powdered cuttlebone, dehydrated fruit, and wheatgrass powder. I actually managed to hand-feed her quite a bit of it using a pen cap. Poor critter was hungry. I didn't get chirped at, but then Eileen has never been much of a chirper, she's more of a squincher. She was not very squinchy today. Not sure if that's a good sign, she just may be so weak she can't squinch. She is also still not pinching with either the pincher or the feeder.

Also, now that I was able to hand feed her and get a good look at her without her squinching into her shell, I see that she has little white mites. Icky.

9. OneOnion

Oh... The mites are probably what is causing her to drop limbs.:( If the mites keep at her, it won't be good. At this point a bath would probably make her more stressed. I don't know what you can do..:(

10. YouveGotCrabs

I went ahead and gave her a bath. I figure at this point it MIGHT help and if it doesn't, then she was probably going to die anyway. I almost wish she would go naked since she's safe in iso, then I could boil her shell and see how many mites (booklice actually from the looks of things) she's really got. I squished a few and a few more came out when I bathed her. Poor critter.

11. OneOnion

We're crossing our fingers.:) Hope she molts soon!

12. cococrisp

Getting her humidity lower would be the first thing I would do. I had a crab kept in about 96% humidity (My gauge was broken and read 75%) and he began dropping limbs and then died.:( Keep hoping and the fact that she is eating is good.

13. NitaRocks!

NitaRocks! (Micro Crab)

Back to the euthanizing: if you think she will definately pass away, you can euthanize her by freezing her. But beware, you might kill her unnessecarily if you're not sure.

14. cococrisp

I would never kill her. I could not do it. I just can't.:(

15. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

It's a good sign that she's eating. :) We all have our fingers crossed. That nutritious meal and bath hopefully will help. You should definitely try to get the humidity down right away. Although the dropping limbs is probably from the mites, the high humidity is making it a lot harder for her. :(

16. OneOnion

How is she? Is she getting beter?

17. YouveGotCrabs

Not really. She dropped her last walking leg. I hand-fed her a mix of organic coconut, powdered cuttlebone, wheatgrass, and corn syrup and she is still eating. we're taking it one day at a time. I think she might go naked soon. I sort of hope she does so I can boil her shell and kill the buggies in there.

My mom caught and hand-fed a nearly-legless spider crab one time until she molted and grew back legs. So I suppose we'll see what happens.

18. OneOnion

Well, at least she's eating:D thats a good sign. Are you letting her drink? I don't know if that's necessary or how to hand drink a legless crab... Best of luck. :)

19. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

If you could get her to go naked, that would probably help alot since the mites are doing alot of the damage, and its also good thats shes not starving since your feeding her, and I dont know if you can hand drink her. Hopefully she goes naked and molts. Fingers crossed!

20. YouveGotCrabs

I fed her again today...crab food, dry nonfat milk, powdered cuttlebone, coconut, wheatgrass powder, and butternut squash with a little corn syrup to stick it all together. She's been hanging pretty far out of her shell, so I tried to see if I could gently tip her out of it, but she's still hanging on with her butt, so I didn't force the issue. I haven't really been able to hand-drink her, but I've been trying to mix a little water in with her food, and misting her daily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.