1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

essential oils, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by LordRhal, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Heya,
    So I have a couple of essential oil bottles lying around that I don't really use and I was wondering if I could use some for my crabs. Like eucalyptus or sage or lavender. I also can get some fruit oils as well. Since they are very concentrated I was wondering if I could put a drop or two on their food. People seem to say that they are attracted by smell. There are no other products in the oils other than concentrated extract of .... (insert flower, fruit).
    What do you think?

2. StLCrab

StLCrab (Micro Crab)

It's my understanding that essential oils are not to be taken orally, so I would think that that would go for crabbies too. And I believe eucalyptus is an insecticide as well.

3. LordRhal

You can either inhale, use it on skin or take it orally, depending on what you have of course. There are many different types, I only named a few.

4. LordRhal

Don't down a whole bottle though, you'll most likely end up at the morgue. When I say ingested, I mean a drop or two. Also, don't do it if you have no idea what you are doing. Before finishing my sports massage therapy, I had a course that revolved around essential oils and their therapeutic uses. Eucalyptus might of been a bad example, as it is toxic to humans if ingested. I'm thinking more like almond oil, nutmeg oil, rosemary, thyme and other nut/seed/flower oils.

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Lavender, eucalyptus, citronella, pennyroyal, peppermint, and lemongrass oils I know for sure are not crab-safe. They're actually listed in an article I read a while back about how to make your own natural bug repellers out of essential oils and an Altoids tin. Beyond that, I would say that anything that has insect repelling properties (I check all of those on Wikipedia, or just google the name and insect and see what comes up) is a definite no. Things that are confirmed crab-safe I guess you could try, but if they're that concentrated, you may need to dilute them so the concentration of scent in the tank isn't irritating for the crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.