1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Er... poop...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by NotaMallard, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I read on some crab blog a while ago that part of a wild hermit crab's diet is poop. I tried giving them some of my mice's poo. My mice eat a healthy diet of natural things like flax seed, chicken, oats, and a bunch of other stuff, so this is safe, right? The piece of poo I put in the dish is gone, but I don't know if the crabs just decided it would be fun to drag it off somewhere.

Yeah, this is gross, but why not? If hermies do it in the wild, why not allow then to in captivity? Next, I think I'll try snake doodoo...

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I tend to agree, although the only poo I offer my crabs is worm castings. They LOVE it!

3. NotaMallard

Mine go crazy over worm castings too! My dad and I were thinking about starting a little vermiculture (worm composting) thing. We'd put in our stuff that needs to be composted like fruit and veggie scraps. Then I could give the castings to the crabs, and maybe sell some at my online food store too.

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

My parents do the worm composting thing in the summer (they live in OH so it's a bit too cold to do in the winter). They have a Rubbermaid container and start the compost out with corn meal and newspaper strips and whatever compost they have. Just remember, worms don't like citrus or onions and peppers. Also, don't put seeds in there or you'll get a bunch of random plants sprouting...so don't put the "guts" from squashes, cucumbers, etc. in there. Meat will cause a rash of bacterial infections as well. Keep it covered so it stays moist and never add water once you've started it...the moisture from the rotting food works just fine. You can get worms mail-ordered to you or you can just buy ones from gas stations advertising "live bait." My parents have done both and it worked well. If it is cold where you live, when it starts getting cold at night you should mix them and their castings into your garden if you have one...your plants will thank you!

It takes a long time to go from compost to castings...if you want to do that, you should give them an initial fill of stuff and then not keep adding it...it takes worms a while to work through what they're given. My family stops adding food around the beginning of August and lets them loose at the end of that month and there will still be eggshells that haven't been touched and other fruit rinds.

5. NotaMallard

It only gets down to 56 degrees where we'd be keeping them, so we'd probably do it year-round. Also, you mentioned it taking awhile. If I got a small plastic container (like shoebox-size), it would take less time, right? I just want enough castings to feed my hermies occasionally. I don't need to start giving all our organic waste to them. How long would you say for that to cycle? Less than a month?

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That's so interesting! Once I saw my hermit crab eating poop. I thought it was bad for them, so I pulled him away and took him to the food shell, so he can get real food. When I read your thread I thought, "oops." Thanks for the info!

7. NotaMallard

Yep, lots of animals eat their excrement. I'm guessing it's to get the nutrients that weren't absorbed the first time around.

8. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

eeek poop?!?!?!?!?

9. NotaMallard

Yep, poop. Lots of animals do it, humans are actually the weirdos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.