1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

environmental discussion

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Donny (TMNT), Jul 7, 2010.

1. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Yes, yes. I understand. I think since this subject is important to so many people, I could write a non-biased article on it for the HCM.
    What do you think?

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

That's a great idea! It sure is one of the most popular discussions, right now! You could make and record a poll on what concerns people the most about the earth, on this site

3. Donny (TMNT)

Wow! You've answered like...everyone of my posts! How do you do that?

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

I am a very fast typer, that's how! And when I say 'FAST', I mean, 'FAST'! :rockon:

5. Donny (TMNT)

Oh......I wish there were more people to talk here....

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

They'll come... They'll come... Don't you worry about a thing, Donny (TMNT)! Just give them some time. After all, not everybody is on the forum ever day, and every minute, of every hour, of every year! ...Except for... Me! :straw:

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Since this is just a discussion I have something to say about that.
    I have had many posts where I have had no replys from anyone. And when I give advice there is always someone who contridicts me.I have been crabbing for over 2 1/2 yrs. And the 6 I have are of the originals. And many molts.I've bought 4 tanks and have spent 4figures on them.
    When I started I had great advice from Vicki and from HERMEZ among others. Untill HERMEZ left for a while. Everything else I know I got off the internet. I ocassionally  have a question that I can not find the answer on the internet. So I turn to this forum. Nobody knows everything about hermit crabs. So just because they ask a question doesnt mean that they are not experienced. This is why I am not on much anymore.
    Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Maybe, but your post came across to me as if you were just expressing your feelings, experiences, and opinion... No harm done, and I respect and understand what you were trying to say! And, I'll admit, it does get kind of annoying, when there is always at least one person out there, who takes the time to contradict/correct your posts and threads! :yes2:

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I really hate that this happened. I dont really know who is at fault. I really dont want to affend any of you but I do think it is the govmt fault for not doing all they can to help clean it up when they should have been out there from day one.
    What should we do? Go back to the horse and buggy. People would just complain about the methane gas that the horses poop out.
    Shutting these rigs down will not do anything. Other countries will move right into those same waters and drill. You think there's allot of rigs now just wait if that happens. Besides if they have an oil spill do you think their going to care if it washes up on our shores?
    There are many ways the U.S. could help this problem. Clean natural gas. nucear,clean coal, Drilling natural gas in Anwar (do you think the polar bears would care? Even drilling on land or closer to shore. That way if something should happen it would be easier to fix.
    Untill there is a cheaper, reliable, and abundant form of energy we will always need oil. And if we dont start getting it here we will pay dearly for it to a country that does not like us.

10. Donny (TMNT)

I'm with Trixie. That's why I said what I said about cutting down the trees.
    You can't stop these type of things, they just happen, and frankly, some of them I don't even want to change. I would never stop the oil rigs because I know we all need them. We can't stop cutting down trees because we need them too. Untill they find better resources, we need to keep on doing those
    things.

11. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Trixie - the coast guard actually responded almost immediately to the oil spill when it first happened, but were ordered by the government to not respond. They were told that it was BP's problem, not theirs, and to let BP figure it out. How immature is that?

12. Donny (TMNT)

Like ema said in the "Oil spill discussion" thread, I wouldn't trust the government
    to wash my car, either. I know some people think differently, but I believe that the less the government is involved, the better.  So what to do about it?
    If you want to help with what happened down there in the gulf, you need to use your own two hands, or, you could donate money to the cause.

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I think the government pulled out the coast guard cause of politics, And they  did'nt want it fixed right away cause they wanted to make a point about off shore drilling.It was all political. And that is a shame to everyone and every living creature. And some people want the government to run their lives give them a free ride when like Emmac350 said...I wouldnt let them wash my car.

14. Donny (TMNT)

Actually, I think the other ema said that.

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

your right 'sorry ema'

16. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

It's okay :sunny:

17. Donny (TMNT)

Okay, I also have a strong opinion about the loss of water.
    I believe that you just can't run out of water, its impossible.
    For one thing, the earth is made out of 2/3 water and only 1/3 earth, so it
    would take a long time to drain it all. Second, if you've heard of the water cycle, you'd know that water, all water, goes to the ocean, the sun heats it up and turns it to steam, then it rains and the cycle continues. So I can't see any way we can run out. The water can't just be "caught" somewhere where we can't see it. It'll rain some time or another.

18. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

We could EASILY run out of CLEAN water ...

19. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

There are some filters that can take ocean water and make it fresh and drinkable for people. It's just a matter of getting those filters to people. There are literally filters that you can use the bathroom in that will give you clean drinkable water. So while those filters are expensive, it can be done if clean water gets harder to come by.

Side note: ema, have you ever seen the movie Waterworld? It's an oldie with Kevin Costner.

20. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Did you know that the water you are drinking RIGHT NOW, is DINOSAUR PEE?  :puke: I know, right? :chuckle:
    And you can also filter you urine, and turn it into drinkable water! After all, it is more than 90% water!