1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggs??

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by dotsnspots25, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotsnspots25

dotsnspots25 "First Molt In Progress"

Hey, I realize this is probably a silly question, but from what I can tell, eggs seem like a pretty good thing for hermit crabs. Is there a specific way to prepare them (scrambled, egg and yolk separated etc) or do they not need preparation at all (raw just seems a little gross to me)? I'm also nursing a hermit crab back from a dug-up mid-molt with BP loss. Any ideas for nutrition to get this little guy back on track?
    Thanks!!!

2. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Scrambled would be fine. I wouldn't do raw eggs. In Vicki's store she has a mix just for your emergency case. I'd check it out.

3. gracie1990

gracie1990 Hi, I'm New Here!

You could mix it up with crushed eggshell, cuttlebone, spirulina, ect. to sneak in extra nutrients.

4. dotsnspots25

great tips!!!
    thanks guys!!! I will certainly make him some tomorrow. =)
    He's attacking a slice of apple right now (i was skeptical about it because he never liked the granny smith i gave him...apparently red delicious are much better :chuckle:)

Incidentally, I'm more of a baker as opposed to a cook :dork2: ...what is spirulina and where can I find it???
    :spunky: Thanks so much!! :spunky:

5. gracie1990

gracie1990 Hi, I'm New Here!

6. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

My hermies like scrambled eggs with shrimp and spinach mixed in.

7. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I'll give you a tip I learned when I was still a crabber. Take the eggs out the next morning, ASAP. The first time I put them in my tank, I walked by it the next morning and thought someone had died, they smelled so darn bad!

8. dotsnspots25

:eek:ops2: ha ha, I'll try to learn from your experience Amie! Thanks for all your help guys! I gave him some this morning...no signs of movement yet but he'll come around at some point. I'll look into the Spirulina too. Thanks for the link and the ideas!

9. imported_Dragonsmom

imported_Dragonsmom Hi, I'm New Here!

:noidea: So, umm, I gave my hermies some scrambled egg with the shell in them a few times this week, but it occured to me yesterday... Can they pull chunks of the shell apart, I assumed they could, but do I have to crush it into a powder or anything?

10. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

If you want to put some eggshells, cooked or raw, (organic eggshells are okay raw) in the tat and leave them till their gone. That will allow the hermies to eat the eggshells on their terms as fast or as slow as they wish. And, yes, hermies can eat the eggshells without your pureeing them. :yes2: :chuckle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.