1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggs Hatch-Baby Crabs Swim!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Mama Crabs, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi Everyone!
    I don't know if anyone here on this forum heard about this yet, but I thought it was so exciting I had to share. There is a person on another forum "SojMad" that posted photos of thousands of baby hermit crabs found swimming in a water dish found in the tank. From my understanding, this may be the first recorded event of crabs mating in a tank and eggs hatching. SojMad found them alive and swimming in the salt water dish, the crab owner believes it was the 2 ruggies since this is the only male and female pair of species. Later in the day, SojMad watched the female hermit crab pull out the remaining eggs from her shell (and gave us photos to see it ourselves) and SojMad was able to pull some eggs out and get some close up photos. Then to everyoneâ??s surprise, SojMad posted more pics of the male climbing the back of the female throughout the day.

Here is a link to the thread where you can see these amazing photos for yourself. (scroll through all the pages to see all the photos!)
    http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=80608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also, here is a youtube clip of the baby crabs swimming!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKeCI10aqE

And to think I though a successful molt was amazing!

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

That is so cute and truly amazing, I always hoped my crabs would breed, but mine are all still kinda young. There are so many babies though, but not all will probably survive.
    They remind me of pinball when they ping around.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I still have no clue what my crabs are! boys or girls, mine have non gender names.

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

You can tell when they swap shells if you look quickly. I have 2 males and a female. I just happened to name them appropriately before knowing what they were lol.
    How to tell link

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

This is not that uncommon- but the crabs rarely live much longer....it takes the right salinty etc etc and conditions for them to become land crabs. Its interesting none the less  :yes2: