1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EEP! Surface molt!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Sebastian surface molted! I feel so bad about taking him out of the old tank, but I really thought he'd already molted...his colors were bright and his eyes weren't cloudy and he was moving around a lot, and he'd been underground for more than a month. He'd gotten himself up under the water dish in the old tank so I thought maybe the sand was just packed too tightly and he couldn't get out. Today I went to pick him up (he'd been hanging out under the bromeliad for a day or so without moving) and he fell out of his shell! I was like oh no, my crab died and I didn't even know there was something wrong with him, but then I realized it was just the front half, and that the shell still felt heavier than it ought to. So I peeked in and sure enough, there's a big pink claw squinched way deep inside. He's back in the old tank now, with his exo and a chunk of cuttlebone, with a terracotta flower pot upside down over top of him for protection and darkness (Fezzik is still down but appears to be all hardened up and will probably be surfacing soon, and I don't know where the heck Arthur is). Anyway, I think Sebastian's OK, nobody seems to have attacked him (or at least nobody was successful) and now he's in a nice dark safe place to finish up his molting business.

Nikki

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Put him in the ISO tank if you think your not going to disturb him

3. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Going to have to go against the iso idea. If he's protected, leave him as he is, covered and in his own home. (terra cotta pots have holes in the bottom...don't they? So... air gets in...)

Anyway, I think unless you have aggressive crabs up and about, leave him be, so he can finish and destress :)

4. YouveGotCrabs

I'd already scooped him up (as I initially thought he was dead and I wanted to get him outta there before he started to reek or infected the other crabs with whatever he died of), so when I realized he'd just molted I went ahead and put him back in the old tank (which is my de facto molting ISO right now, I got my new 85 gallon tank right after most of my crabs decided to dig in and molt and there are still 2 buried in there, though one should be coming up any day). I put the terra cotta pot in there over top of him. Yes there is a hole about a half inch in diameter in the bottom, so he will get air. :) He's got his exo and a chunk of cuttlebone in there with him. I didn't want to leave him in the big tank, as I'm not sure how aggressive my other crabs will get when they catch a whiff of fresh molt. I also didn't want to leave him uncovered, as Fezzik is about due to dig out from the molt he just finished and hasn't had anything to eat but his exo in weeks. Plus I figured being uncovered and exposed would probably be unnecessarily stressful, even if there weren't any other crabs in the tank.

5. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

When Aqua molted I thought she was dead cause I saw this exoskeleton (she surface molted -12 hours) just laying around in her shell. So I just played with it and I saw a pincher and that was hit me! Aqua molting!

6. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Does he have some waters in there with him?

7. YouveGotCrabs

What's the best way to go about that, should I soak a bit of sea sponge in the water dish and put it under the flowerpot with him? Don't wanna use a dish because a) i'm worried he'd fall in and you're not supposed to get a newly molted crab too wet, and b) there's not room under that flowerpot for a dish. Should I put both a freshwater and a saltwater sponge under there or will he be good with just fresh (he is a PP)?

The humidity is pretty high in that tank, sand is nice and moist.

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

You can use bottle caps for the water. That would fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.