1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EEEEE! Our last new crabbies for a while. =)

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by jesspark, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

After scouring the local pet stores, I've finally gotten my hands on some of those (in?)famous Ecuadorian crabs, and, boy, are they cuties! The pet store had five in stock, and we cleaned 'em out. Meet the E crew:

[​IMG]
    Flax

[​IMG]
    Nirnroot

[​IMG]
    Skooma

[​IMG]
    Fennel

[​IMG]
    Leek

We'll see if I can still tell everyone apart after a shell change or two -- I used to work with the marine mammals at a well-known sea life park and could ID thirty-seven different bottlenose dolphins, but differentiating hermit crabs is harder than it looks!

In the past few days, I've also spruced up the 'tat a bit, so here are some photos of the new kids enjoying their playground:

[​IMG]
    Pineapple and coconut -- yum!

[​IMG]
    Is it safe?

[​IMG]
    Peek-a-boo, I see you!

[​IMG]
    More pineapple-y goodness.

And, to conclude, a couple of photos of a not-so-new kid: Puck, my first hermit crab!

[​IMG]
    Checking out the new foliage after coming up from the substrate for a visit.

[​IMG]
    Making a beeline for the food!

Our crabitat is maxed out now, so this will be my last "new crabs" post for a while--unless we happen to come across a larger aquarium and a larger home to fit it in. ;)

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Cute crabs (even though evil E's)~~GREAT pics~~adorable names!
    Congrats! I am in love with Flax

3. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Haha, the "(in?)famous" was for you, HERMEZ -- I know you see through their cuteness to their wicked ways! :hermzpoo: My Es have already proven their evilness by being impossible to photograph. The little suckers won't stay still long enough for me to take a decent picture, so I'm relieved that you like the final products. :)

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

hahhaa thanks I did not want to assume :chuckle: yes they are definately the hardest species to take pics of- you mastered it with your first batch! :hail:

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

:biglaugh: They are so cute!

6. imported_CrabMomma

imported_CrabMomma Hi, I'm New Here!

Congrats!! I want some E's too, no one carries them here!

7. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Aww, HERMEZ, thank you! :) I hope to take better photos of Nirnroot, Skooma, Fennel, and Leek -- like the one of Flax, which I think turned out the best of the "profile" shots. I wanna get my fingers out of the pictures, although that does illustrate how little these guys are. Sweetpea is no longer the smallest crab in the 'tat!

And thanks, too, Wizkidsmom and CrabMomma! We had to visit a small independent pet store that was well over an hour away to get our Es; we wanted to drive down to Venice to spend some time at the beach, and a shop that I'd heard carried Es was on the way. None of the local places carry anything but PPs. I love my PPs, but it's nice to have some variety in the crabitat. :)

8. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Okay! I finally managed to get some better photos of Nirnroot, Skooma, and Fennel; Leek is acting like he may need to molt, so I have him in iso. His pictures will have to wait until he's ready to be up and about. :) But until then...

[​IMG]
    Nirnroot

[​IMG]
    Skooma

[​IMG]
    Fennel

I love these little guys! :wub:

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Evil E's are heart stealers :yes2: Nice shots :kpics:

10. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

Too Cute!! :wub:

I wouldn't mind getting some Es(shhh...Hermez might be listening :hermez: ) or even try my hand at straws, but I would want a seperate crabitat for them...I wonder if I could bribe, I mean talk to the husband about buying me another tank :think:

11. imported_CrabMomma

imported_CrabMomma Hi, I'm New Here!

They are just too cute!!

12. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Hermez, did you see the story that the crabbers are making up about you and evil E's in the three word story topic? You should check it out. :chuckle:

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:eek:mg: NO - thank you for the heads up :aargh:

14. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

The story about you is about three pages long now. :straw: We're having so much fun doing it even though I'm the one that instigated the story about you.

*runs away from Hermez after making my confesion* :biglaugh:

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

IM in on it now so its ok :biglaugh:

16. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Speaking of those evil Es...

I'm sad to report that Leek has passed away. :sad5: When we first brought him home, he was acting sluggish -- "downcast" eyestalks, lethargic demeanor -- but I hoped that he was just overdue for a molt. Today, I checked on him in the iso, and he was gone. :( He'd dropped several legs since being isolated, too, so he definitely wasn't doing too well. Poor thing.

Happily, the remaining four Es seem to be doing fine (knock on wood!), and I took a few photos today of Nirnroot that I thought turned out nicely. :)

[​IMG]
    Nirnroot and Fennel.

[​IMG]
    Plotting some evil deeds, no doubt.

[​IMG]
    I think that's Fennel's shell up in the corner, then Nirnroot, Skooma's back, and Max the PP's shell on the right.

[​IMG]
    More Nirnroot!

Evil... but cute! :D

17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

your darn tootin!!!! :eeeek: that is too much cuteness

I am so sorry :sad5: about your loss. Thank goodness it wasnt Flax :sunny:

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

Beautiful crabs!!!! They are not evil :straw:

19. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

I'm sorry about Leek :sad5:

:flower:

20. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Thanks, HERMEZ, Vicki, and LilHermieOnes! I'm sad that Leek didn't make it, but I hope I gave him a pleasant last few days, at least.

And Vicki, I dunno... anything that cute makes me suspicious! ;) I'm pretty sure they're plotting to take over the world in there.

Next: another photo! I've yet to get a "profile photo" of Nirnroot that I really like, but this is the latest attempt:

[​IMG]
    Nirnroot... again!

I'll get a good one someday! The problem is, Nirnroot loves to "put her eyes away" (as another poster has described it) at a moment's notice, which makes picture-taking difficult.

Oh! And I've finally managed to positively identify both Nirnroot and Fennel as females; I'm pretty sure Flax is a male, and I think Skooma is a male, as well. Now, if those pesky PPs would hold still long enough for me to get a good look at their undercarriages... I guess they're shy. ;)

Hope everyone has been having a good weekend! Me, I'm probably going to spend the next day or so fretting over the crabs; I had a couple of them out while my husband was cleaning the bathroom last night without realizing what he was doing, and now I'm paranoid that they may have inhaled harmful cleaning product fumes. I'm such a worrywart when it comes to these little boogers! (And our dog, and our ferret...) Sigh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.