1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EE Vs. PlaySand

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by HermitPaws, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thanks! :) Can you get it at Home Depot? It just happened again today and she got really mad!

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Or keep a little vacuum nearby and use it when you are done.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I prefer EE to Playsand. I found that my playsand was always drying up over the heating pad despite frequent mistings that brought the humidity out of control. It depends on what size tank you have. If you have anything under a 50 gallon than I would use EE but it gets really expensive with large tanks. If you get playsand don't buy it from the concrete section. Usually there is a isle of concrete and there is a bag of playsand mixed in there to. But, go outside to the nursury section. Most home depots have those and there are usually piles or shelves of bark and mulch. Usually there are turqoise bags of playsand hanging out there for $4 each. They are really smooth rockless perfect sand. I could not believe it when I had just bought the crummy type and there was the beautiful other sand out there.:mad::rolleyes:

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I had it mold, but it wasn't mixed with ocean water. I'm switching from aquarium sand to EE with my next deep clean because my guys tend to spend more time buried in the coconut fiber in the upper levels than they do in the sand.

5. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

I have EE, and I haven't had any mold issues (except when they bring the chicken into the water dish, but that didn't have anything to do with the EE). I mixed mine up with distilled water, no salt (I didn't have salt at the time) and it's kept the humidity nice and high (I've even had to air it out to lower the humidity!) so in my opinion, EE's a superior choice. I know some people may have said they had mold, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's a little dirtier, but if you just let it dry if you spill it (section off the spot) and then vacuum it up the next day, it comes up pretty well. Also, if you have one of those mini carpet shampooers, they work REALLY well with cleaning up EE spots. We used to have one, but my mom loaned it out and got it back in pieces. *sigh* It was nice while it lasted though.:) My crabs like the EE, probably because it's moist and they can eat it (now who wouldn't like that?). :D

6. lovelylivelycrabs

I want to see pictures of your tank!! How'd you put EE on an upper level? All the shower soap dishes I've seen have holes in them.:confused:

7. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I use fabric screen (for window screens) and cut it to fit the bottom. Works really well to hold just about anything I put in the shower caddies.

8. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I switched from Sand to EE and love it!
    I think sand makes more of a mess as it sticks to everything!
    I also think that sand smells funny after a while and EE does not, just like wet earth really.
    I read somewhere that if you double the salt in the mix when preparing the EE it prevents mold permanently and so far that has worked well for me. My crabs love it. They are always poking their feet in like " ahhhh this feels nice!" lol

9. emmac350

Lovely - here are pics of my tank. The upper levels on the left are actually made out of pencil boxes (like you have in elementary school) that I got for $.50 at Walmart and some hemp, and they're suspended because there's a 3M Command hook (large size) on the outside of the tank for them to loop around. The one on the right is a corner shower caddy.

Crabs pictures by emmac350 - Photobucket

10. lovelylivelycrabs

Very spiffy, emma! I really like the levels!

11. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow! I really love those second layers!:)

12. Laughs O Lot

I love your tank!!! :D The second layers are AWESOME!!! :D It's so cool how the cholla wood goes through the hemp net!

13. Laughs O Lot

Darn! I totally missed that, too! I always find rocks in my sand.

14. emmac350

It doesn't go through the net, they're two separate nets. There's one on the back wall for climbing, and there's one that's a bridge from the shower caddy to the lower level on the left.

15. vampressqueen

vampressqueen Hi, I'm New Here!

i've had crabs on & off for 13yrs. I've always used calcium sand/playsand. This is the 1st time i've used EE. between july/aug Rob bought me a total of 3 crabs to ease the loss of our pacman frog who died. We had just bought a bucnh of EE for him & Fat Bastard died 2 weeks later. :( So we use the EE. crabs like it. we went out and bought "reptilite" calcium sand & i put some in container in teir tat. I got it so they could have calcium. They don't seem to like it which is a 1st. They just crawl thru it to get to their food/water.

16. emmac350

The calcium sand would work best as a supplement put into their food bowl when you change it out. It lasts forever that way, too. It avoids any trouble if a crab decides to dig down through it to molt and gets caught in it - calcium sands don't support molting (if they get wet and then dry, they'll dry into a hard rock that crabs can't escape from). They also have a habit of smelling AWFUL after being wet for too long.

17. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

In one of the new 10 gallons we just got (several rescues in the last week) I had some eco earth left and some playsand and no real clue what the mis-managed crabbies we had received would prefer.

So, I filled the tank with the sand, but I cut the top off a gallon sprig water jug and filled IT with the eco earth and sunk it level with the sand back in the corner of the tank.

I think I have a crab down in there and if I do, talk about an easy way to move him, should I need to.

18. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

I have an extra coco fiber background climber thing, so I just cut a piece to fit the bottoms then fill it with EE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.