1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eco Earth

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by vckums, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ok last deep clean I put in all EE. Had a hard time with humidity, even with the EE, 3 moss pits and 2 tropicairs. I did a deep clean the other day and lost 5 crabs. I am so bummed about this. I truly think it has something to do with the EE and humidity problems.

My questions are to all members who use EE as a substrate.

1. How long have you used EE as a substrate?
    2. How often do you deep clean?
    3. Have you lost any crabs since using this substrate? If so how many?
    4. What are your personal opinions on EE?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I have always used it- either alone or mixed- I dont feel I have lost any crabs due to the EE -- I deep clean if I am lucky enough every 3 mos--
    I love it as it really helps keep the sand moist- it does help breaking things down- and I have had crabs die in the EE and never ever smelled it- until I unearthed them.......
    I will say though that I have been mixing it lately----instead of EE pits--and even topping it off with the coconut husk chunks.........I think it helps them build stronger caves too.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:sad5: I am very sorry for your losses - that is alot to lose in a deep clean.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks Hermez. I was gonna get more crabs but as fate has it my mom and pop store won't get more until summer and maybe that's a good thing until I figure out whats going on. I'm down to 9 now.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WOW that is all--do you still have that pp? E's are evil as soon as you admit that you are on your way to recovery :yes2:

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

There's 3 adopted PP's in there and my 9 E's

7. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

This post is a little off topic, but I'm hoping for some help. I posted a topic elsewhere about my hermit crabs that I NEVER see (5 PPs). Now, I'm wondering if they might be dead. I have sand and coconut fiber mixed (plenty of moisture). I thought since I didn't smell dead hermit crabs, they must be alive. Now, I realize that might not be the case since another member stated she didn't smell any dead hermies either.

Here's my question. I have no clue what the "invisible" hermit crabs are doing. Molting? Hiding? Playing Poker? Dead? So, how do I ever do a deep clean? Do I just pick a day to start digging up the substrate and hope none are in the midst of molting? There is only one hermit crab who I see with some regularity. I've had them since last September. This one has more than doubled in size (assuming it really is the one I think it is!!), so I must be doing something right.

Please tell me what you all would do. I really want to dig it all up, clean, re-arrange, and check on the crabs, but I'm petrified that I'll do damage to some mysterious crab who needs to be left alone.

Thanks for ANY advice!!
    -Sandy C.

8. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

How long have they been under for? Mine was down for a little over a month before we saw him, but I have also heard that PP's spend most of the time under lol.

9. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

Hi Nate,

I still haven't popped any popcorn -- you gave me that advice on my other post on this subject. The crabs (all PPs) have pretty much been out of sight since a few weeks after they came home (last September). They did go through a frenzied exploration stage, then frenzied shell-swapping (all five changed several times -- sometimes several times a day), then some obsessive eating (one was particularly addicted to grapes). Since then, there is only one who is up pretty frequently. Last fall I saw both small ones and one medium. As you can see -- it's been a LOOOOOOONG time. I'm not sure if they are coming up at night. The sand always seems to be pretty walked-on, but sometimes the food dishes aren't touched for several days. Also, both water bowls will sometimes go weeks with no sign of tracked-in sand (yes, I change the water frequently) (fresh and salt).

I think they were pretty healthy when I first got them. The came from a Petsmart, but it actually had temperature and humidity gauges and a nice fresh water bowl and food. I don't think there was any salt water, but the woman helping me knew about it (so maybe there was?), and helped me find mix for myself. All of them were in natural shells.

What do you think??
    -Sandy C.

10. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Aw Vicki, that's awful. Very truly for your losses.

I find it almost impossible to achieve a good balance of humidity and temp without constant tweaking. I've gone from all EE to sand to 1/2 and 1/2, back to EE, 66/33, and from bud vase humidifiers to large dishes and candy jars but while one puts too much water into the air and bogs the substrate, the next has no impact at all

How was your Eco Earth at the bottom? Did you find moisture droplets on the glass beneath it?

I think we need something like those plant spikes that you stick in the pot and they tell you when you need to water. hmm That's actually something to think about...

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks CA...I've been rather bummed about it.

It was moist, but not damp. I didn't see water droplets. I went back to all sand. I never thought of using one of the moisture plant things. Let me know if you try it!

12. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

:crybaby2: im sorry for your little friends...

1) Ive used EE for the last 6 months.
    2) I deep clean every 2 or three months
    3)Ive never lost a crab in the EE, and my tiny E molted happily in it.
    4)Personally, I'll never use sand exclusively, although i do have a small sand pit on my upper level. My crabs love to dig tunnels and caves thru the EE, and it doesnt collapse on them (very good for molting, bc they can dig a spacious cave). I soak my blocks of EE in instant ocean salt water, its never molded and the crabs LOVE to munch on it! Sometime i can't keep the tank DRY enough - the 2 small UTH's evaporate the moisture, and the glass fogs up. Every week or so, I pour a glass of declorinated water over the EE and mix it up. It is messier than sand, but the crabs are happy - my big PP is molting in it right now.
    -sars

13. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

I've had EE in the tat for several years. Never had a problem and I think it's just great. All my crabs have molted in it. Only one ever died after molting in it and it died from PPS and a deep clean. :crybaby2: I'm sorry for your loss Vicki!

14. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I use EE. My deep cleans are about 6 months apart. I do keep some old and mix it with the new. I have not lost any hermies from the main tank (Still waiting for three to come up).
    My hermies love it. I have a second level with semi moist/on the dry side EE and they love that as well.

15. KrabKeeper

KrabKeeper (Micro Crab)

How can you lose a crab in a deep clean? You just found it dead or you interupted a molt?

16. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi! I've used EE for two years now without problems. I change it about once a year. I've had a few deaths, but they were more likely from bad molts that the EE as the substrate. I keep my tanks covered except for a small fresh air space with plexiglass. I miss the substrate at least once every two weeks. Another thing that I think helps with humidity is having a lot of moss pits. My crabs love climbing the vines from pit to pit. For anyone having trouble maintaining humidity, try these tips. Well, they work for me anyway. Good luck, all, with your crabbies! :bye:

17. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I've had EE for about 2 months (I'm new to crabbing and I've only been doing it for 3 months) The only deep clean I did was when I first started off so would that count? And I haven't lost any that I know of. Three are dug down in a molt (I think) right now. I'm not sure about it yet but it does keep up the mosture.

18. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Sandy C., It's really hard to say if you should dig to see!! If it was me I would take everything out carefully! Use the tips of my fingers and scrape away the top layer of the substrate. They could be just under the surface. If so then they probably are about at night. I'm lucky, I have 8 hermies that either sleep in the 2nd level moss pit or they are molting. So most nights they're are 8 hermies crammed into one moss pit.P.S you can do a surface clean and rearange if you are carefull.

19. AndrewCap

AndrewCap Hi, I'm New Here!

I use EE only... I haven't lost any crabs for a month in-fact they love the EE. I have a homemade humidifier running constantly and my humidity is currently at 80%. I Deep Clean Every week to a month depending on if they need it or not. I have used it since I started Crabbing a year ago. Personally I love EE but in the future I might mix it with sand.

20. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You deep clean every week? How can your crabs molt if you clean that often? Deep cleans don't need to happen except for every few months...usually 6 months and even (in some cases with a molter who's taking forever to come back up) up to a year in between. Any quicker than that and your crabs can put off molting until their environment is stable and eventually die from the buildup of molt inhibiting hormone in their bodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.