1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying crab! D:

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Emii, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emii

Emii Hi, I'm New Here!

I went to Florida and picked up a conch shell. Later I found out there was a crab living inside of it. At first I treated him as a land hermit crab but with further investigation I found him to be a salt water hermit crab. I'm having a lot of trouble finding how to care for him right now. I have him in one of my old hermit crab cages filled with sand. I put a bowl in there with de-chlorinated water and then put sea salt in there for the ocean like salinity. He can crawl out onto the sand if he wants to. I really have no idea how to care for him and I really want him to live. Does anyone have any tips so I can help Mr.Crabs survive? (I know, real creative name, haha.) PLEASSSE and Thank you!

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You should put him back on the beach or give him to someone with a salt water tank. Lots of people have those so you should not have a hard time finding him a home. Putting him back would be the best though.

3. Emii

Emii Hi, I'm New Here!

Well I would love to put him back now that I know he is in there, but problem is I live in North Texas. I also recently learned that he is a striped hermit crab and that they are very hardy fellows who can live in fresh or salt water. He is doing a lot better now that he has his water to crawl around in. :) Thanks for the help.

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

That's nice. You should read up about striped hermit crabs on the internet and maybe you can keep him. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  5. cococrisp

You will probably have to get him a tank with a filter and all but I don't know much about aquatic crabs.

6. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

Striped crabs can live near brackish waters, but are not often found in strictly fresh water. These crabs are a type of reef crab- yes coral reef- that are cleaners, eating excess algae and wastes. There are salt water pet stores throughout the country that may be able to provide you with further guidance. Salt water pets (fish or crabby) are often cared for much better than land hermit crabs at pet stores due to their expense and the requirements of keeping the salt water filtration system up to par for the entire stock. Normally pet stores have one filtration system for all tanks or one for their salt tanks and one for their fresh tanks if they carry both types.

I would not keep this animal in fresh water. This type of crab is hearty and can endure much, but fresh water is not at all the type of environment any crab found on Florida beaches should be in. Google salt water pet stores in your area. They tend to be privately owned by knowledgeable, experience salt water enthusiasts.

Keep us posted on his progress!

~flamelet~

7. Emii

Emii Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you. :) So far after I put him in my temporary salt water he has been really active and talking a lot. He is still pretty shy. I'm thinking about getting some dried leaves or something or algae from my pond to feed him. You see my mom isn't really helping me out to much with him so I'm a little alone here besides your guys help.

8. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm glad to see that he's doing well. Have you decided to keep him? If so have you figured out what his name will be?

Talking a lot? How is he talking? Also, make sure the salt you give him is not iodized. It'll say so on the container of the salt.

Wait, iodine might only be poisonous to land hermit crabs. I don't know. Is it poisonous to marine ones?

9. cococrisp

Use instant ocean. You should take a trip to the pet store to buy sand a filter etc. and learn more about him. You might need several bubbler and what not as well. Are you planning on keeping him? I once had a salt water crab. He lived in a regular salt water aquarium with some fish and he ate commercial fish food that the fish forgot to eat. You have to measure the density of their salt water and all this other stuff. I had him when I was 7 or something so I don't really remember anything. I had to give them away because I moved.:( You should get him a friend if you get a tank set up for him and decide to keep him!:D You should try craigslist for anyfilters ect you need.

10. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

I found a salt water set up 28 gal with stand and fish and a crab and a snail for $50 on Craigslist. Of course, it's in Florida like I am, but I thought I'd let you know. I don't know how you'd go about shipping, but that is way cheap!

~flamelet~

11. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

dontcha just love craigslist! I know I do!

12. cococrisp

Yes
    How is the crab doing? Are you planning on taking a trip to the pet store. What type of salt are you using?

13. Emii

Emii Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah I'm going to keep him. I decided on Mr.Crabs. Haha. I'm going to as soon as my mom gets paid. I have been using sea salt.

14. cococrisp

Yeah. For fish you have to measure all this density of the water and stuff. I don't know much about them but get a little baby horse shoe crab when yur tank is running! They are awesome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.