1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb question about dehydrated foods

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Donna M, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Is it better to rehydrate dried foods when giving them to the crabbies? (Like the dehydrated shrimp, bloodworms, etc.) I've been putting them in the food dish both wet and dry. My crabs make such a mess of the food dish, I can't usually tell what they've eaten and what they haven't. I give them a wide variety of foods, and in the morning they're usually just spread out all over the place, all mixed up together.

I just didn't know if it made a difference which way it's served.

Thanks for letting me ask such a dumb question! LOL!

Donna M

2. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I feed mine dehydrated krill and bloodworms and they seem to enjoy that. I don't think it'd make a difference. I put babby food in with my hermies, so my food may hydrate a little (but I'm not completely sure).

3. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Mine usually prefer rehydrated food. If I put a chunk of dry dehydrated food in there they'll ignore it, but if it's nice and moist they'll nibble on it and drag it under their little huts. I think it's easier for them to eat, and plus it releases the scent better. Which isn't so good when you're talking about fish, haha.

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

If kept in the tank long enough it will rehydrate it self too. Some of mine do that overnight with the moisture in the tank. Mine prefer some things rehydrated and some things dehydrated.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

It keeps longer if you don't rehydrate, but rehydrating is a personal (your crab's" preference. I would advise you to rehydrate dried beans and anything that is hard. Dried fruits and veggies should not be a problem to eat dry. The crab's feeding claw is VERY strong and is designed to tear.

6. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll experiment and give them both......that way I can watch and see which one they eat more of.

Have a good week!
    Donna M.

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think they prefer it dry but I'm not sure. They like fresh fruit veggies ect. and for calcium I usual give them egg shells or plain meat or chicken cooked withoutsauce or anything. Try not to feed them commercial crab food because some chemicals are bad for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.