1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dull Coloring

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Stephen2342, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen2342

Stephen2342 "Preparing For First Molt"

Hey everyone. Haven't been here in awhile. I just got two new hermies today: Maui and Mumbai.

Anyway, I have been realizing that Tiki and Kauai's coloring is pretty dull. Not bright red or purple. More of a dull orange and light purple. :( I feed them what I believe to be a balanced diet. Every night they get shrimp which I moisten (it comes dry from Wal Mart....made for hermies. Nothing in it but shrimp). And then I give them various nuts, raisins and veggies in addition. But it doesn't seem to be working. What kind of foods should I be feeding them? Thanks.

2. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

You probably need more variety. Here's the main food groups (off the top of my head, sorry) of the foods you should be offering every week. You should be giving lots of different sources for each group. They are: protein, vegetables, fruit, chitin (that's not the right term, is it? things like bark and leaves) and oils. Things like bee pollen and seaweed like spirulina are also fantastic and should be included, but they don't really go into any of the groups.

For boosting colour you should be feeding things like (off the top of my head again, sorry) spinach, sweet potato, carrot, red bell peppers, parsley, and tons more. Anything vibrantly coloured, really.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you click on Forum, and then go down and click Foods, Treats & Home Recipes. , Vicki has a safe foods list posted. It'll give you an idea of what you can feed your crabbies. I find too that mine don't like the same things "served" to them two nights in a row, so I am also a meal planner so I don't get Snubbed by de crabbies. :D Geez...wish I had someone to plan and serve me meals...(here at my home that is---not jail or someplace like that!! :D:D)

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

keep in mind not all crabs change color- I got some as dull as they were when I first got them and they are good eaters - but most do change into vibrant crabs

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't think any food made for hermits is good. I give mine everything fresh. For meat they get egg shells, and plain steak and chicken.

6. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

As long as there is nothing in it besides the shrimp it is fine. I feed mine that sometimes. I don't rehydrate it though as the moisture in the tank rehydrates it for them.

7. Stephen2342

Thank you for all of the responses, everyone! Especially NotaMallard. I'll definitely try some bell peppers and more spinach and carrots. Where can I get spirulina?

8. NotaMallard

You can find jar-like things of it, powdered, in health food stores or online. Vicki from the Addiction store also sells small packs of it, but if I remember right she's been out of stock for a while. You're welcome!

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Often chemicals are put in those that can kill crabs:(. What's wrong with the shrimp you eat?:confused: I would give them that.

10. NotaMallard

The ones that I buy say they have no preservatives or colourings. Those are the ones I reccommend. I know about ethoxyquin and copper chloride and molting problems, but most of the ones I see are simply dehydrated krill or whatever.
    There's nothing wrong with the shrimp you eat, but that is usually more expensive. I have fed mine fresh shrimp on more than one occasion. But some people are looking for more options, and I respect that.

11. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Crabotanicals has launched it's new Color Surge which contains foods rich in caratenoids and tannins and zeanaxathin and betaine for color enhancing. It also contains oils that shine up the texture. (Gosh, I'm too tired to spell correctly!)
    Right before my crabs molt, they look ashy or dull, which kinda hides their bright color under a white haze. Then, when they molt, they look fresh and bright again.

12. Stephen2342

I'll look for that!

I'm a vegetarian. Plus, as NotaMallad says, it is only dehydrated. There are absolutely NO other ingredients. Thanks for the input though.

13. Stephen2342

By the way, I tried some sweet potato and it was a hit!

14. NotaMallard

Yep, mine are addicted to sweet potato. No matter how recently they have it, as soon as it's in there they're all over it.
    And an update on where to get spirulina: I went to my local co-op and they allowed you to buy particular amounts of it. I only spent $1.87 on it because I only needed a little, instead of buying a half-pound jar for $20. But I don't know if you've got a co-op around you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.