1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Substrate

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by zincon, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zincon

zincon Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey I use Play Sand with a heating pad underneath. I mixed my sand up really good with some water. (I hear bottled water is ok?) A few days later it was very very dry already. Is this due to my light, the heating pad underneath, my lid, how much sand I used?

I have a 20g tank with the fishtank lid on it, plastic with a fold open flap and the light built in on top. My sand is 6 inches deep, my humidity and temperature are always good.

I don't understand how it dries out so quickly. If I spray the sand with a spray bottle then the humidity becomes too high... Any suggestions?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

I would say it would be due to the light, but the UHT will also dry out the sand, just not that quickly from my experience. Is the lid open as that could allow the sand to fry out quicker. Next time, keep a close eye on if the top sand dries out first, or if the sand a couple inches does first. It should give you a good idea as to which is causing your problem.

Jason

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm not sure if this is the answer regarding your post. When my sand is a bit dry under the the top of the subsrate I use a turkey baster with saltwater in it, then wet the dry sand from the top to the bottom. After that I try to mix the sand while not disturbing any crabs.

4. Lukems

Lukems "First Molt In Progress"

Turkey Baster?

Doesn't The Sand Get Sticky?

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Nope. It just gets a little damper. The baster gives water from the bottom of my tat, going up from the top, so it pretty much equally distributed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.