1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Moss...

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by Eric, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

As many of you know I was in the new petco a few days ago where I purchased my and jennys new beautiful and healthy pink ruggie. There conditions were *Perfect* from a nice big crabitat with gauges reading perfect numbers and salt and fresh water dishes, very clean. The question I have is they had a dry moss on top of there sand substrate which the hermies just loved, loved, loved hiding under. I think this could be a great thing. Did anyone ever use this stuff? Is it safe and does it mold quickly under high humidity's? I might give it a try.

Cappa

2. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Hey Cappa, there are several diffrent types of mosses you can use , yes they can mold if they dont get good air circulation sometimes humidity is very good for the moss and so is moisture. There is sheet moss, spagnum/shag moss, frog moss, clump/mound moss, fern moss, spanish moss,and so many more types, Zoomed also Fluker Farms and T-Rex has a selection as well as other places. If your gona use moss make sure that you soak it in boiling water for a good 15 mins befour cooling and using. Watch for areas that get white fluffy mold. As long as food dont get left laying on it you shouldnt have any probs with it just every so often take it out rinse it well and then boil it again or toss and use new. You can get small amounts or go with bail size bags from the company. Check the reptile section under supplies on eBay and you can find great deals there on it.. [​IMG] Hope this helps, i use fresh sheet moss from my backyard since we live in the woods and there are no chemicals i make sure to set it in boiling water to kill all bugs and such then cool and put in with my frogs and tarantulas and my geckos humidity house.. [​IMG]

3. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Today i was in Dollar General, and they had spanish moss for $1.
    I'm always looking for stuff cheap! [​IMG]

4. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

I feed mine moss and they love it, it is always gone by morning. [​IMG] So I am guessing it's good for them.
    Sandra [​IMG]

5. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

Sandra, What kind of moss do you use? [​IMG]

6. Eric

Sound like you did you reseacrh once again Cuda. Do you know of any particular moss you would reccomend that takes longer to mold and hermie safe?

Cappa [​IMG]

7. Curls II

Curls II Hi, I'm New Here!

[​IMG] I have to say my hermie clan loves the Fluker's Frog Moss.
    It does have one teeny side effect...green poop. Easy to clean up
    after. LoL I use small amounts pushed into a jumbo shell, the crabs
    will pull it out would they are ready for snacking.

8. CudaCrabby

[​IMG]Cappa the best to use is Sheet/Spagnum/Shag and also you can use the Frogmoss or Fernmoss. What ever moss you choose make sure it hasnt been color treated with toxic chemicals as alot of the companies will do this to help retain the natural color of the moss. Like i was saying always check the package and also make sure to soak in boiling hot water just pop it in a bowl and leave it soak for awhile to make sure there is no bugs.
    heres a place you can check out for some things for your hermie vivs. Once in click under plants it should open a catagory with all types of stuff check each one.

http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=DFS

http://www.zoomed.com/html/terrarium_moss.php

https://www.dynasite.net/site100-01/1001302/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=119&SN=100&CT=101&PG=101&O=1&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001302&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y&modify=0

http://www.worldpetstore.com/worldpets/cagac.html

and this one is all about diffrent mosses.
    http://members.tripod.com/%7ENPK1/moss.html

Hope this helps alittle. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

10. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Wow Cuda & Sandra, thanks for all of that information! I guess I have alot of reading up to do!

11. Eric

Very good post on MOSS, maybe we should move it to the library. Anyone have anything else MOSS related they would like to add that may be helpful before this is dropped in the library?

Cappa

12. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

Thanks Sandra, I off to Moss shop [​IMG]

13. CudaCrabby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappa:
    Very good post on MOSS, maybe we should move it to the library. Anyone have anything else MOSS related they would like to add that may be helpful before this is dropped in the library?

Cappa <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Cappa i would like to add "I have moss comming out my ears from the back woods" LOL!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ok ya this is a fantastic thread for the library.. [​IMG]

14. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I just bought my first bag of reptile moss. Its interesting... I like it, but I worry its so messy. Will have to report back on this one! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.