1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry food?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Color, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Color

Color Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey. I was just curious about 'Dry meals'. Is it ok for hermies to consume dried fruits? (an example being craisines, raisins and dried plums)? Kinda like a trail mix type of situation? I wouldn't feed it all the time, but if theres no good fruit in the house (sometimes all we have is apples because of the weather). What would you mix into it? any seeds or nuts?

Also i've heard some salsa (chunky) is a favorite among hermies. Do you know if this is true? If so what brand? And is there anything to avoid?

And my last question is I have Reptile Calcium with B3 from my frog keeping days. i was wondering if it's ok to add a dash of this to their food for a calcium boost?

Thanks lots!

2. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

well raisins and craisins have sugar on them sometimes so that is bad for them. i guess you could make your own salsa (ex- use tomatoes green pepper red pepper yellow pepper orange pepper celery ect. ) so pretty much a veggie mix i guess

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'd avoid using any premade salsas, as they would have preservatives and/or salt. Definately make your own, very easy to do.

Make sure the dried fruits are coated with anything, sometimes they are.

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

You should make your own salsa! That would be fun! And then maybe you can have a salsa party with your hermit crabs and you could were a sombrero and then your hermit crabs could climb in it and eat the salsa while you dunk your chips in it! Lol!
    Dried fruit would be good! Just check the ingredients to make sure they haven't added anything or a coating. Check the reptile calcium ingredients, too. There is a safe food list in the home recipes and treats section (it's a sticky).

5. clover

omg you are so funny! anyway that is a good idea. check the safefood list and seee what you can get. it wouldnt be cheap though because of all the veggies like peppers. those are pretty expensive now

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I wouldn't put any spicy food like peppers into your hermies food, unless it's bell peppers which are not spicy.

7. clover

oh sorry i didnt write bell but that is what i meant! sorry :)

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That would be nice... A salsa party. This may seem strange... but Coco ate a whole taco chip the day I got him! And so did Crisp! And so far they are the only crabs that especially seem to enjoy them.:D:)

9. cococrisp

The picture you have, Is that your hermit crab? If so he/she is really cute. You should post some pics of them. Have you made any albums yet?

10. clover

a whole chip!?!?! wow my hermies cant even eat a peice of apple or a whole cheerio!

11. cococrisp

Yeah and guess what?! After Coco came up from his molt. He ate a whole fourth of a grape! And a large grape too! He must have been SUPER hungry!

12. clover

how big are they?!?!?! :)

13. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

He might have hidden it. I've found whole bits of squash during deep cleans, luckily they dried out before they were buried.
    If not, he must be one HUGE crab!

14. Laughs O Lot

Woah! A whole chip is even bigger than my hermies! You have some hungry hermit crabs, cococrisp! I see Ocean eat the most out of my hermit crabs. She is the biggest and recently molted. Sometimes it seems like she is eating the air, because I can't even see the food that's going into her mouth! My hermit crabs eat in microbites!
    Back to the dried food topic, a week ago I put the hermit crab dried fruit bag in the hermie basket (where I keep all my extra crab stuff like food and the mister spray and where my hermies love to climb). Then, when I took the tank lid off to check on my crabs it fell all over the living room floor!!! :eek: I'm so annoyed at myself!

15. clover

what fell? you keep the mister in your tank?!?!?

16. Laughs O Lot

:D :D :D Hahahaha!!!!!! You're so funny!!! I just got into a huge laughing fit. Sorry, I guess I didn't clarify myself at all! So there is this basket where I keep extra hermit crab stuff that I don't need to put in the cage, like shells are too small for my hermies like extra sponges, food, and mister spray (this basket is outside of the cage). I had a pack of dried fruit especially for hermit crabs in the basket. I used to put little peices of the food in their food dish (in the cage) every day. So one day the basket was right next to the tank. When I slid the tank lid off it fell on the basket and knocked the basket to the ground! All of the dried fruit fell on the floor! Sorry this is so long for an uninteresting topic, just wanted to unconfuse some people!

17. clover

ohhhhhhhhhhhh! haha! thanks laughs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.