1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Food Diet Okay?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by NYCTaxiCrab, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCTaxiCrab

NYCTaxiCrab "Never Molted"

Besides a bit of honey every now and then, I've been feeding my hermit Crabs things that aren't too "wet". i feed them egg shells, crackers, mushrooms, etc. My thought is that, in addition to proper "tank hygeine", I might avoid bugs this way.

I am very careful about placing the feeding dish at night before I go to bed and removing it in the AM (I heard this is a good idea). And, I always clean out and refill both my spring water and sea-salt water dishes.

So, how'm I doin'?

NYCTaxiCrab:)

P.S. Anyone else suffer from waking up in the middle of the night because their Hermit Crab is practically "digging to China"? LOL.

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Yes i suffer also Fro m crabs digging tio china an hitting the glass..LOL
    Crackers are an no no dont feed them thing with "SALT" in them un less it says "SEA SALT"

Other wise It sound like you on the right track!!!

Happy crabbing.

- Hermitpaws

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

sea salt is not good either traditionally

I say NO you are not giving your crabs enough by a dry only diet- just like when humans eat a raw/fresh diet you will gain more nutrients that way etc etc.

Dont stress over the bugs- I know where your coming from and in the end its wasted fret- just be diligent in tank cleaning every day and remove the fresh food by mid day- you should be fine

4. NYCTaxiCrab

Thank you! I will add more wet stuff and stop giving them crackers - but, how 'bout Rice Cakes???

Hermez: As far as daily tank cleaning, what do you suggest.
    I never see poop but I do change the water dishes every AM and remove the food dish entirely in the AM. I want to get this right!

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You don't have to remove the food every day, make sure they have some foods in the day, they are not entirely night creatures. I see mine eatting in the day, you need to give them food in the day. I change mine everynight before bed. I give them fresh chicken (today I cooked the neck and guts for them to eat), steak (cooked and uncooked), pork (cooked and uncooked), dried fruits and fresh fruits, dried veggies and fresh veggies. They need it all. I would say maybe in the morning take out the fresh stuff and leave dried stuff in the dish so they have something then at night empty what they didn't eat in the garbage and put new fresh and dried stuff in there. It is fast and takes no time at all to do this and it should be done. I would say keep up the water changing nightly too, it is good to always have fresh water at all times.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I change water every other day........when you got bigger tanks you got bigger bowls and the bubblers keep it good- the salt I cant waste like that but if your smaller in #'s that is good to do.
    I do take my food out and try to replace with fresh right after the clean up
    Look for the poop its there LOL.......all colors and sizes I get a paint brush and go thru the sand that way.

7. NYCTaxiCrab

Thank you hermitpaws, chermo & hermez - I'm going to try the paint brush "technique"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.