1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

driftwood and shrimp nets

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by mom_of_3, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

Ok, so I am headed down to the coast a couple of times this summer and I was wondering if driftwood found on the beach would be ok to go in to the tanks? I was also wondering bout scraps of shrimping nets? I know that the shrimp nets are "dipped" but I'm not sure what all is in the dip. I know that the newly dipped nets are a beautiful shade of green when they are freshly dipped but that really doesn't help. I was thinking more along the lines of older nets that haven't been recently dipped and have been used for a bit. I want to use scrap pieces of net to create hammocks and ladders. I was thinking of findy funky pieces of wood and draping net around part of it like the wood got caught in the net and ripped it. and then taking fake ivy or beach grass and creating hides that way. BUt wanted to make sure that these materials were ok first.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You can use driftwood if  it is not pine or cedar.Click on the EH sight tward the bottom of the screen on the left and it has safe and unsafe wood listings. As far as the shrimping net you can find a used net in the crafts department at walmart. You will have to wash it cause they are really dirty but they are big and work great. They even have a large starfish in the package.

3. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

I was asking about the net because I know of a couple of places where I can probably get the net for free off of the boat.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If the net is smallish and will fit into a pot, take 1/4 cup of Marine Salt that you use for the Hermie drinking water and put it in the pot with the water, place the net in  and then bring it to a slow boil.  Ten to 20 minutes should be fine, just keep your eye on it.  Remove it from the water and hang it up to air dry.  Make sure it is dry before putting it into the tank.

If it's too big to do on the stove,  get a large bucket, place hot water in it along with the Marine salt and let it soak 24 hours.  Take it out and let it air dry.

I would do this with the driftwood too so the chance of bugs, etc. would be eliminated and nothing would be left alive to invade your tank.

This is the proceedure  I'd use...but by all means if anyone has a different way, please share.   :flower:

Michaels Craft Store has the nets too...all clean and ready to use...reasonably priced.

5. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

:thanks:....I'll be sure to do that when I get the wood and net this summer. I am headed down to Houston in June and wanted to check out the net and driftwood before I actually got it that way if it wasn't going to be safe I could come up with something ele.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know this thread is a month old, but I wanted to add that if you do get the marine nets at walmart use an old pot you don't want to cook food in again. I used to get the nets there and they ruined the pots!!! I started to wash them only in the same pot after I ruined two. Ugh. They arent washed prior to selling and I have no idea whats on them but boy were they gross!

7. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Can always get a Hemp net prewashed and hermie safe,  :yes2: just sayin!!