1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to do with all these shells!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by hetigima2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

So I'm at the Jersey Shore  :hermez2: and I went to a antique shop on the boardwalk and I always like to go there to get shells because they are cheap and they don't have many painted shells. I got a couple shells separate and then I got a big bag that had lots of different types of shells including a lot of turbos so I just HAD to get it. In the bag they also had a TON of halves of clams shells (27 to be exact) and I just don't know what to do with them!! I could use a couple for food but what about the rest?? I need some creative ideas please!

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Well, there are TONS of things you could do with them, including your food dish idea, you could pet sponges in them, you could put a cuttlebone (or some other source of calcium) in them, you could make climbing and play toys, as well as obstacles with them, by gluing them together, you could sell them for money, you could possibly make a trade with vckums for food from the store, you could make hideys out of them... There are so many possibilities, and the ones I listed are just a few!

Hope I helped, and good luck!

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

How about ornaments/Christmas gifts

You could paint the shells on the outside with a glittery paint, dry, and on the inside place a Holiday sticker, Nativity, wildlife, or any large sticker.  You can use a clearcoat over the sticker, but you don't have to.
    Then you can drill (very carefully) a hole at the top for the ribbon to pass through to make a loop and then hang it on a Christmas Tree.  If you do drill, it should be done before the paint.

The way we did it was to make the ribbon loop, and then hot glued it to the shell.

I live in an area where seafood and hunting is prevalent, so we have a lot of these for sale in the shoppes, most especially around the Holidays.  :flower:

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

That's the best idea I've heard so far, Jellybean! (Actually, it's the only idea I've heard so far, other than my own, but still! :chuckle: )

5. Michele213

Michele213 "Never Molted"

I took all of my broken and non-hermit crab friendly shells and glued them together with aquarium sealant to create a hidey.

[img=400x298]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/wanderingbetawolf/Crabs%20and%20tats/DIY/August62009024.jpg[/img]

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yeah... That was one of my ideas, but I never actually tried it, whereas YOU, on the other hand, did, and created a beautiful masterpiece/work of art! It is so creative, and best of all, you made it yourself! Nice job! It is beautiful!

7. Michele213

Thanks for the kind words! It's actually hideous compared to what I saw in my mind when I set out to make it... Apparently the crabs love hideous as they were using it regularly when it was in their tat. Nothing is funnier than watching a crab scoot backwards up the side of that thing!

8. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

That's so cool! I'll definetly have to try that.  Where did you buy the aquarium sealent?

9. Michele213

I found it in the aquarium supplies of the local pet store. If I remember correctly, you can also find it at some hardware stores.

10. Mckenny

Yes...just make sure it states on the tube "safe for aquariums".
    I've used the DAP, household adhesive sealant with no problems, and it holds good.  :flower:

11. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

Do you know where you got that? And the seashell ornament idea is really cool but I don't know if we would have any room on the tree! My mom LOVES getting Christmas ornalments and to her its like we never seem to have enough!  :hahahaha:  I guess I could always make some for the family, they would really appreciate that.

:thanks:

12. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

I live at the Jersey Shore. Just curious where your were? What store/town? I may have to go shopping myself! LOL!

The trinket store at the Barnegat Lighthouse has some nice shells to go through if you are in the area.

Christy :rockon:

13. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

Its in ocean city. Its called Old Salt. They have a whole section of shells right near the hermit crabs and they are pretty low priced!  Most of the crabs are in natural shells but I haven't bought any crabs there in a while.  I know in Wildwood they have Es which I got 4 of  ;D  .  They haven't died of PPS and they are awsome!  My brother though picks crabs that are not active and in painted shells and they die within a couple days which is sad but he doesn't want me picking them out for him.

14. alliswell777

alliswell777 Guest

last night i bought a $1.00 basket o" shells from dollar tree. i only found 4 that would work for carrie & little petri, but i took the rest & boiled them in salt water, then baked them (even the basket!). i used elmers non-toxic school glue (IS THIS SAFE, GUYS???) to glue together all the half shells to form what will be the legs for the basket hidey! and i glued small shells to the top of the basket for looks. ill post a foto of it soon! and i found there some 100% cotton doilies as well. ARE THESE SAFE FOR HERMIES TO CLIMB ON??? IS COTTON SAFE FOR CRABITATS???

15. Mckenny

Yes to all the above.  :chuckle: