1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't forget to set your clock ahead this year!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Matt, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

WASHINGTON (AP) - 2006 has been postponed. But not for long.

A leap second will be inserted in the world's clocks just before midnight - Greenwich mean time - on New Year's Eve, the U.S. Naval Observatory reported Friday.

That means 7 p.m. EST, Dec. 31, will occur one second later than it would have otherwise.

Leap seconds are needed occasionally because modern atomic clocks measure time with great accuracy, while the rotation of the Earth can be inconsistent.

The rotation of the Earth has been slowing, so leap seconds keep the clocks and the Earth from getting out of synch with one another.

This will be the 23rd leap second that has been inserted since 1972 when an international timekeeping agreement was signed, according to the Observatory. The last one was inserted seven years ago.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

wow! Never knew that...Great info Matt!!

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

yeah me neither........... :eek:

4. Matt

Matt Guest

Now you do! Is anyone actually going to set it ahead? I wonder why they dont wait another gizmillion years and insert a whole minute?

5. cwaweeks

cwaweeks Guest

With too many clocks in my house to count, I don't think any of them are in sync. I don't think I will mess with a second. I'm not that accurate!
    Nice info though.

6. Matt

Matt Guest

Why does a single second count, I know that someone's life can end in a single second, but why bother? Is the entire space time continum going to be disturbed?

7. jasso

jasso Guest

Its mostly for things that require extra accurate timing, like GPS. It also helps when trying to calculate orbits and planetary positions.

8. Matt

Matt Guest

Yes, yes you are right Jasso! I suppose that with gps, if they are doing something like... tracking... something, then a second would very much so count. Especially if it was fast like a car, where in a second it can go a very, very long ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.