1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOB Dropped a leg!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Itsy, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

DOB my first hermit crab ive had him for almost 6 months now and well hes been digging around alot latley. My boyfriend picked him up last night and one of his legs is missing. We looked through the tank and couldnt find it. Aswell as lately weve been out alot we have 4 water dishes in there but i think some1 is collecting shell water cause we will leave over night and the water will be empty its just stumping us. So we fill all four up again we come back in about 5-7 hours later and it will be just sand in the dish again! Could this have anything to do with it?? Oh and hes a PP

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? 6months

Do you know what species they are?10 PP's 1 straw 2 E's

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? yes

Tank Size:25g

Lid Type: metal mesh lid out of reach of the hermies it was hand made

Placement of tank in your home: a stand by my bedroom door about 7 feet from a window

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):sand 2 inches one side about 5 on the other, reptile moss in second level

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital round discs??

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? yes

Placement of Gauges: above second level

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: 74Degrees 80%

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):UTH half the tank then another small one in the middle of the other side

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):none

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? yes

Is there any metal in your tank? the lid???

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? 2 cocomats, 3 pieces of choya wood, half log hidey, netting

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? spring water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? yes

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? both

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? 4-6

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? no

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? always

How often do you handle them? 3-4 times a week aswell as friday crab inspections

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? no

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? 3-4 times a week

What types of foods do you feed? dried fruits and vegs, aswell as dried mealworms, calcium suppliments, and some fresh foods

What do you use as a calcium supplement? calcium block

If anyone can see what im doin wrong other then having a slightly over crowded tank until the end of next month let me know!

2. Greynova27

Greynova27 Hi, I'm New Here!

About the leg, its okay, it'll grow a gel one until it molts

3. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Yeah it will grow back when he molts. It will look jelly because it isa gel leg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.