1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use salt in your sand?

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by Aviate, Oct 3, 2004.

?

I was thinking about this recently. If hermies bury by the seashore, even remotely, wouldnt there b

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. never thought of it but will give it a try

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I think its a bad idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

2. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

I would think that since the beach is wide open the saltwater in the sand would not spoil, like it might in an aquarium pretty much enclosed. I know that if we do not change our saltwater dish every two days or so it spoils. IMO I would imagine salt in wet sand would spoil just as well...Like I said though...just My Opinion.

Jenny [​IMG]

3. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

yes, I thought of that possibility - though I dont know if salt "spoils" per se. thats why I was wondering if anyone does this and has thoughts on it.

4. CrabbyGirls

CrabbyGirls Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't use salt water to hydrate my sand, but sometimes my crabs do. IMO the sand that's had salt water spilled on it (or been dumped onto it by the crabs) stinks more than the sand that's just wet w/ dechlor water. But my E's & Indo's seem to prefer it this way.

5. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

I don't wet my sand down at all, I keep my sand bone dry, I do have EE on the 10 Gal. side to keep the humidity up and a place for them to dig in if they want. I like my sand dry because I sift it every day and it's kinda hard to sift wet sand, LOL But keep me posted on the salt water sand.
    Sandra

6. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Well sometimes i over fill the salt water dish and some gets into the sand and also on the peatmossmix bedding area as i have one salt water dish on each side with 2 fresh water dishes as well. I have noticed some of the hermies picking at the sand and peatmoss mix bedding around the water dishes maybe there getting something from that mix i sure dont know but i have poured alittle salt water into the peatmoss mix bedding befour and havent noticed any spoil or bad smells. [​IMG]

7. silvercamaro77

silvercamaro77 Hi, I'm New Here!

With FB salt water is absorbed so that it doesn't pool and stagnate like it can with sand. (Sand just isn't as asorbant as FB.)

8. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

We go to Wildwood New Jersey every summer, and every summer we come home with more Hermies. This summer we bought a small tank to bring the crabs home in and filled it with beach sand. The sand was slightly wet, but from the humidity and the water dish being knocked over it became very wet. Well, by the time we brought it home the sand stunk! This was only over a 3-4 day period.

Jenny

9. simone

simone Hi, I'm New Here!

I know this is an older topic, but being new here I wanted to add my two cents [​IMG]

I now use EE instead of sand, but when I used sand (for about a year) I did dampen it with salt water (IO), and also mixed in crushed coral. I was basically trying to add minerals/nutrients, the crabs seemed no worse for the wear. Now I didn't have it wet, just the recommended sand-castle consistency- and with my Es, they did all the dumping and I just stirred it in. Once a week I would go through and remove the top layer of sand, then stir it all up to redistribute the moisture, and added water as needed.

As far as the stinky sand- well, natural is going to smell far worse than synthetic- so sand from an actual beach with actual ocean water, hold your nose. Sterilized sand with synthetic salt water wouldn't smell as bad- and to my knowledge my substrate never spoiled. Of course that would probably be due to frequent cleanings, stirrings, and full changings.

10. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

One corner of my tanks has hermit crab soil mixed with sand. When I mix it I use salt water and when it needs to be moistened a bit I also use salt water. [​IMG] I also assumed that hermit crabs live near the ocean so the soil they live on would naturally contain a higher salt content. [​IMG]
    Red Sox clipped the Cardinal's wings

11. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I use salt in my EE, not in my sand area-so far no smell and no mold. I just started doing this a few weeks ago, so only time will tell if it actually works to prevent mold. My crabs LOVE my substrate and are always digging. I currently have 2 down in the sand area of the tank and 4 in the EE. The rest all make their burrows in the EE section of the tank.

12. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] I make my EE with a little salt water. Not real strong with salt but some salt. [​IMG] My babies seem to love it and I have never had mold or bad smell either. [​IMG]

13. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.