1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you cover those holes?

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by WizKidsMom, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

A hole near the food dish or the water pool or the hut or..... what do you do? :confused:

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I don't understand what would be dangerous about any of the holes?

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm with crabbyjo on this. I have PP's and Forest Bedding (or EE) and they love to tunnel. I've even had two crabs "posturing" with each other because they both wanted to go down the same hole at the same time. :D In fact, that's the only time I've heard one of them chirp.
    I've found that they will close the hole themselves eventually, and I'm not quite sure what they're doing down there, so I don't bother their housekeeping. :)

4. WizKidsMom

By dangerous I mean a hole too close to the food dish or water dish. I watched one of my guys walking to the food dish and disappeared. He fell into a hole made from some one who came up from digging.

I cover up those holes.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm getting a mental picture...after the initial shock of seeing the crab there one minute and then all of a sudden
    POOF...gone the next.....I just had to laugh. :D
    I understand your worry though. Was there any way possible to temporarily put something like a hidey hut over it so as not to disturb it and thereby have the others go around it?

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

:DLOL! Poof! That is so funny, Mckenny. I don't cover up the holes, because they didn't make any yet in a dangerous position.

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

What are they talking about????

WIERD

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I sort of agree. I'm a little confused but I think that they are talking about little holes you crabs make after coming up from a molt. Mine like to chill in them so I don't cover them. They may be preparing to use them for a molt so that may make it impossible for them to dig if they always get covered up. There may also be a crab in there that you are unaware of. You don't k=want to suffocate him or anything.

9. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i think they mean like when they just dig for fun

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I make sure they are empty and collapse.......

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

My substrate is dry around the food and water dishes so never any holes for them to fall into. :)

12. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

ALL my substrate is dry, i spray it every day and humidity is perfect so why wont it stay wet? i spray the crap out of it!

13. WizKidsMom

because of evaporation. ;)

Stick your finger down the substrate to see if the bottom is wet. Sometimes the top will look dry, but the bottom is soaking. I do this to check to make sure the bottom of the tank is not so wet that my hermies will drown.

You also can pour water in the substrate to keep it moist. Stick a finger in a corner, then pour water in the hole just enough that it comes to the top. Then watch it get absorbed into the sand.

Do this just in a few places as the sand will allow the water to spread. Now you must watch the humidity levels so you don't make it too high.

14. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I make sure they are empty and then I cover them, I hate seeing holes all over the tank, when they dig them I spread out the sand so there is not a pile of sand in the tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.