1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do they always look different after molting?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by roxyvelas, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxyvelas

roxyvelas "Never Molted"

My crab came up after two weeks but he looks exactly the same - didn't even change shells. Was he still molting?

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Check the tips of his legs. Are they shiney black and really sharp? If so, he probably molted.

Just because they molt does not necessarily mean they will change shells. The original shell may have been a little big to begin with and he likes it. How long have you had your crab? Maybe he was just destressing ....

3. roxyvelas

roxyvelas "Never Molted"

His legs look the same. I've had him since April and he just went down two weeks ago and reappeared this morning. At the same time, my other crab just changed shells for the first time into a HUGE shell. All I see are a few of his legs. They're both acting nutty!

4. roxyvelas

roxyvelas "Never Molted"

Actually I was looking closely at him today and it seems like one of his pinchers is much larger than the other. Is this normal?

5. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

Yes, hermits have a BP (big pincher) and a normal pincher the BP is primarily used for protection and as a bowl, while the other pincher is how a crab feeds itself.

6. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I can usually tell if one has molted b/c their little "nails" on the end of their legs are very sharp and black. Yes, their pinchers are different sizes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.