1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do It Yourself Palm Trees - cheap and easy

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by lbanimals, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbanimals

lbanimals Hi, I'm New Here!

I stumbled upon a neat idea today while rearranging my crabitat.

I have 2 foot long pieces of choya wood standing up to make "trees" of sorts. I was trying to figure out how to stick a plant around the top or sides to make it look more like a tree and less like a stick. By chance I stuck a fern type plant (from craft store not pet store) into the top of the choya wood and wha-la!

Instant Palm Tree.

[​IMG]

The taller choya pieces are tied together to make a track for another piece to lay across...so they look less like palm trees because the leaves are all piled up on top of each other.

But the crabs LOVE IT. They are up at the top of the choya pieces hanging out under the shadow of the fake 'fronds'.

I took a regular 12 inch piece of choya wood and made the mini palm in the top picture. Just so it wasn't solely made up of the large ones that are way too symmetrical for nature.

I am going to cut some of the extra 2 foot pieces I have left into different height palm trees and will try a grouping of different heights to break of the symmetry a bit.

But the crabs are happy and it was so neat I had to share. The plants I bought from Michaels and are called I BELIEVE "Boston Ferns". They are $1.99 regularly (on sale for $1.39 right now).

Here are two pictures of the crabitat with the new trees.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the two BIG GUYS (including my huge softball sized crab I got a while back, he is the big purple pincher at the top) chilling under the fronds.

[​IMG]
    And two more on a different set of trees hanging out.

[​IMG]

(Sorry about that! Could I possibly have made more errors in the image codes. Geez)

2. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

They look great [​IMG]
    lbanimals

3. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

PRETTY!

4. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

LOVE the setup! Really looks great!

5. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Those look really cool -- like a tropical jungle. [​IMG] What did you use to tie the cholla together?

6. lbanimals

lbanimals Hi, I'm New Here!

I can't think of the name of the stuff I used to tie the cholla together. It is from the craft section in Walmart. I think it is meant for making a wreath or something like that? It has a thin piece of metal wire in the center covered in the rope looking stuff. So it is strong and holds the shape. It costs less than $2 for quite a few yards of it. One package is more than enough for quiet a few "trees".

7. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Thanks -- I may have to look for some of that. I have been wanting to assemble some cholla wood "scaffolding" that would fit around the edges of some of the other climbing items I have in the tank. Something like that would be perfect to hold it all together. It's probably necessary to keep an eye on it to make sure the crabs don't expose the metal, but I'll have to take it out from time to time to let it dry out anyhow and I can look it over closely then.

8. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

That's sooooooo cool!

9. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] i love the tropical trees what a great idea, but wont they crawl outta the aquarium? i didnt buy them any plants today , i had some other cool things ive been picking up here and there though. awwwwwwwww i love this site. hugs. kathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.