1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to mist?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by timebandit, Jul 12, 2010.

1. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do I have to mist my tank if the humidity is always at or above 82%. Its been that way since I did my last deep clean in january. I do keep the substrate moist by using the water bottle without the top and pouring the water on the substrate to keep it moist but have not sprayed the crabs or anything else in the tank since then. Should the crabs be sprayed or the items in the tank to simulate rain. I know that sounds kinda dumb but I would like to know.

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

I think, that, you should spray when needed...This doesn't necessarily mean everyday, but you should check on your tanks' humidity, and make sure it is not too dry/musty, or too damp/moldy.
    Remember, too much humidity can cause mold and fungi to sprout like weeds! The pores spread very easily, and soon, your whole crabitat will become infested with mushrooms! So, try not to keep your tank TOO humid, but make sure it is humid ENOUGH.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I never mist my crabs, it's like us being sprayed with a fire hose in the face! They have delicate wittle eyes. That is my opinion. You might want to mix the sand up a little when you dump water in it, airate it a little.. if that is a word? I mist my fake plants and it creates the rain forrest effect. I don't do it everyday though, maybe 2'xs a week and I don't make it soppy wet. I have had mushrooms on my cholla wood before, because I had it to wet and warm. I took them out washed them off with the salt water and left them out to dry really good before I put them back in & hadn't had any trouble with it.

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

I totally agree with the 'fire hoze in the face', theory, ya got going there, scoobdoo!

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:hahahaha:  Mushrooms on the Cholla wood...I'm getting a mental picture.  I bet you were like  :whaaaat:
    I mean no offense, it's just that it struck me funny.

I have to ask Trixie...have you re-calibrated your gages recently.  The humidity seems a tad high.  Also is your gage sitting right on the substrate?

I sometimes poke my finger down in a "safe place" and if it leaves a hole, then I know it's moist enough.  I have other things I do as well, but that's a quick check.

I also control my humidity with my tops.  I open them  to let out humidity or lower them if it isn't enough.  It also allows fresh air into the tank.

By the way peeps, there are NO dumb questions.  If you don't know and don't ask, and the crabbies suffer because of it, well...... :smack:

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Good smiley for THAT occasion, Jellybean! :full:

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I did recalibrate about 4 mo. ago. The one on the bottom was 4% off. My digital read 4% higher than the other one so it was right on. I cant recalibrate that one because it has wire probes that go inside the tank and the readouts are on the outside. But the probes are taped to the middle of the tank.

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Hey, trixie, you might wanna tone the humidity down a smidge. It seems a tad, too, high, and, as I said before, you wouldn't want a colony of invasive mushrooms and fungi growing in your tank because of too much humidity, now would you?... :nono:

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The tank I have has built in vents so there is always airflow thus very little if any mold.
    There is nothing wrong with 80 to 85% humidity. Right now it's at 81.

10. Mckenny

How do you like the digital/probe system Trixie?  :flower:

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I love them. I have a temp one and a hygrometer . They do have a combination one but were sold out when I bought it.
    My old meter was all over the place up down up down like a yoyo. so I decided to get this one. I got home and set it up and it pegged out at 99%. Needless to say the top came off for about an hour. Even now it is always cracked open about 3in. I also bought one of those round hygrometers and calibrated it and it was off by 4%. I use it for ground reading. I think the digital is very reliable.They better be right because buying them individually was not cheep. 

12. Mckenny

Thanks for the info.  I keep looking at them but like you mentioned, it is a little costly.  In the long run I wouldn't mind it for the peace of mind, just as long as they did the job accurately.  :flower:

13. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I bet the digitalized thermomaters are more accurate, but the ones at the stores are really expensive.

14. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You can get a digital temperature/humidity gauge at Walmart for about $7 or $8, Donny. They're in either the home improvement or the garden section.

I never sprayed my crab tank...I can't even remember the last time I used the spray bottle as a spray bottle (I used the bottom to pour water into the bowls and such). My humidity was pretty stable in the 75-85 range. If you use EE, your humidity is going to be higher than if you use sand in my experience because in order to keep your EE as moist as it needs to be it will give off more humidity than sand does. After mixing up a batch of EE for after a deep clean, I always had 90s in humidity. I'd have to leave the top off of the tank for almost a whole day to get it down to the 80s. I never had a problem with mold even with higher humidity, and the crabs never had a problem either.

Keep in mind, too, peeps, that your humidity gauge needs to be close to the substrate level. You can have as much as a 20 or 25% difference between substrate level and even mid-tank level. Humidity will register as much lower the higher up on the tank wall your gauge is, and if you move your gauge to substrate level, you'll probably be surprised at how high the humidity is.

15. BrassCityBeast

BrassCityBeast Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, the humidity is already where it needs to be if you have decent airflow, so i wouldn't for a little while. otherwise it could turn into a swamp  :oops: what i do, being short on  cash at the moment, is damp a towel big enough to cover the lid. not soaking wet towel mind, just damp enough to hold in moisture, and it keeps my humidity right where it needs to be. at least, until i can buy a humidifier  :banana:  id also recommend getting tropic soil or some other coconut fiber if you don't have it already. once you mix it, it gives off a lot of moisture.

Hope it helps!

16. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

Did anyone else ever hear about how to build your own humidifier with the air pump, glass jar, tubing and air stone?

17. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

That's what I did in my tank, except instead of using a glass jar, I just put the air stones into my water bowls. They splashed a lot, but worked almost too well at raising the humidity.

18. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

I did the jar.  Works good now but took a bit of adjusting to get it right.  Wasn't as inexpensive as the article said but definitely saved a few bucks.