1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Hermit Crabs enjoy touch?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Joycemarie, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joycemarie

Joycemarie Hi, I'm New Here!

:confused: Hi, I am new to the Hermit Crab world and have found myself totally enchanted by these little creatures. I can hand feed four of the six I own. I also can pet the tops of their heads which they really seem to enjoy. Sometimes too, I rub their legs, do Hermit Crabs like being touched, do they enjoy being touched? Thanks, Joycemarie:confused:

2. reader101

reader101 Banned

Welcome! That's an interesting subject, depending on who you talk to! Some have a total hands-off approach, whereas I enjoy the opposite - my hermies are totally comfortable being handled, and since they can't regulate their own body temp., I thoroughly believe they love the warmth of your hand! Stroking of the shell with shy fellows will help relax them to become comfortable with being handled for cleaning, etc. without stress.
    I'd love to discuss handling techniques with you!

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

some of my crabs like to be handled others dont. its all up to you and your crabs.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'm hands off with mine. Only time I handle them is when I do deep cleans. My reasoning is, they aren't touched in the wild. Im more for a natural habitat for them as much as I can do.

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

Joycemarie - are you still with us?

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I'm hands on with mine. They seem to be such social creatures, that especially when one is molting (I only have 3), they seem to like the "company"?! Maybe that's weird to say, but they look to be happy. I don't actually "pet" their skin, but I will wiggle my fingers while holding on to the shells and they grab on and just seem to listen to you talk! The boyfriend always says .. you know you're talking to a crab, right? LOL ....

7. reader101

reader101 Banned

:) :confused:
    I wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning re. in the wild. Unfortunately, that would be the ideal condition, but the fact is these guys are no longer in the wild, and maybe some adjustments must be made. As their "caregiver", we humans must frequently reach into their territory for feeding and cleaning, and the more comfortable they are with human contact, the less stressful. Only someone comfortable with handling hermies should consider taking it further. Molting is strictly hands-off time - let them do what they need to.
    JMO

8. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi! Not too much experience here but I'll put my two cents in, for what it's worth. I don't handle my crabs either. I don't want them to have to experience yo-yo humidity. I think they become stressed quite easily, and maybe this is one of the reasons that crabs go naked. I've never experienced this. My focus has always been to provide stability to these creatures who have gone through tremendous adversity to end up in our tanks. I think finding a suitable diet for my guys greatly removes stress as well. So I guess, I just let them be. I have 17 crabs in my 20 gallon high and three large crabs in my 20 gallon long, and they don't fight and they don't eat each other. I just thought I'd throw my perspective in. God Bless, Nancy

9. reader101

reader101 Banned

Nancy, I think we all have the same goal - to do the best we can.
    But I don't think it's productive to the site to discourage further users from discussing all the possibilities, including and especially why a hermie is naked, environments and natural foods. We only learn by asking and discussing, not by saying "this causes that". Our food discussions are amongst the most comprehensive, as well as issues re. naked hermies, etc. are covered.
    I also wonder when you state "they don't fight and they don't eat each other"...where did that come from and what was it referring to?

10. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Dear 101, Again I will apologize. I guess I was having a bad day. I don't really know if I've been treating my crabs well or have just been lucky. I appreciate your feedback on my comments. I think our goals are the same, too. Nancy

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

Once again...would you please take personally addressed issues to Personal Mail or the appropriate forum. You are off topic.
    Thank you.

12. reader101

reader101 Banned

"Having a bad day"? Certainly conflicts with the postings of an experienced crabber! Perhaps if you are so overwhelmed and grief-stricken, you might be doing best for the hermies to find them another home.
    Somehow I don't think your goals are the same as mine with regards to the integrity of the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.