1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digging

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Laughs O Lot, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

How can you tell whether a hermit crab is digging to prepare for a molt, molt, de-stress, or just for fun? My hermit crabs are digging a lot lately because we just got coco fiber and they love it. I don't want to dig them up or anything while they're molting. Also, I think I found a tiny part of an exoskeleton in the tank, and nobody has molted in this cage before.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Laughs O Lot

Right now, all of them are dug under.

3. Laughs O Lot

Sherbert came up so I played with her today, but Crusty and Sky are still dug in the dirt. Crusty's shell is visible, though.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Make sure you ave enough substrate for them. Before my crabs molt they often dig under one place and then come up for the night, decide they like another place a little better and dig there until he finds the perfect place. If he just came up I would not play with him yet and never dig him up.

5. Laughs O Lot

Sherb dug in another place, right next to Crusty and Sky who are dug under, too. I have a ten gallon so I looked from the bottom and saw Sherbert and Crusty's legs. I'm positive that Crusty's legs were attached to his body, but I'm not sure about Sherbert. I'm worried. My hermies never dug so long before. I didn't see Sky at all, just the tip of his shell.

6. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have a couple of hermies that love to stay down. They come up only to eat and have a drink. Leave them be. Just keep the food fresh.

7. Laughs O Lot

They came up for a minute, played, then went down again.

8. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

lol doesn't it make you crazy! My crabs are all down (in the main tank anyway) and I don't know if they are molting or just chillin! Some are in sand and one or two are in the cocofiber, I just don't know if it's one digging it all up in two different areas or two different crabs! I know I have a couple molters, but not sure about the others. I want to play with them but nobody is coming out to play! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.